OS X Home folder

naclay

Registered
Hello.
I have been having problems with OS X, so i tried to uninstall it by hand (dragging folders to the trash from within OS 9) --admittedly dumb, but that's what i did-- then reinstall it. One of the folders I tossed was the Users folder. Then, after I performed a clean install of OS X, the machine booted up and I got a message saying the Home folder could not be found. I tried importing a home folder from another computer on the network while in OS 9, then restarting OS X, but it was not recognized as a home folder by OS X. Is there a way I can set a folder as the home folder from the terminal? Or is there something else I can do? (I tried going straight to the 10.1 update, but it didn't take...)

There is a way to change your home directory, but i would recommend reinstalling OS X again, but this time, doing it properly, because you ARE going to have more problems.

I am in a situation where I simply can't do a clean reinstall of OS X, I can't back up my HD, so I have to manually delete it off, like you did, and reinstall. But the thing with OS X is that it dumps loads of invisible files, and some of these allow it to remember users from the previous install. It will also recall details such as home directories, etc.

Delete everything to do with the OS X System again, but this time, get rid of ALL the invisible files too. Try using something like File Buddy to search for all invisible files on your drive. Now, I don't know what level of computing knowledge you're at, but basically, you need to go through the list of invisible files on your HD, and delete all the OS X related ones. There are lots, trust me. It should take about 30mins to go through them all. Delete em, and reinstall, This will sort the problem, and get everything back up to fully working status.

I would HIGHLY recommend doing this. You will encounter further problems if you don't. I am speaking from experience here ! LOL. I have learned loads about installing and reinstalling OS X, so if ya need any help, lemme know. If you don't want to do this, and just go ahead, and change the home directory, that's something you'll have to ask someone else, so other volunteers, feel free to post the instructions how. Not too difficult me thinks !

Back