OS X :: how secure art thou?

gerbick

poptart villain
Not entirely as safe as we'd like to think, it seems. AFP doesn't seem to warn the users if they are in secure, or insecure (read: text sent in plain text) mode, sometimes.

read here for some more details.

That's a pretty worthless article, hard to figure out why it got the stinger it did, except to impress those who only read that far. What is the point of comparing OS X to system 7??!!!

Double speak if you ask me, or filler parading as an analytical article.

That could be the source of some security vulnerabilities for OS X. Because the Unix code has been public for so long, hackers are well positioned to exploit its weaknesses. Indeed, the existing hacks of OS X, for the most part, have been adaptations of Unix hacks, noted Gartner analyst Ray Wagner, though he pointed out that such attacks have been rare.

"Any security issues that have come up in the version of BSD upon which [Apple] based their efforts would also very likely be in the Apple product," Kusnetzky said, but he said that he had not heard of such hacks.

Funny, isn't it? The colors and the links and banners and everything in that site was so microsoftish look that I wanted to check whois for the domain to see if they are M$ ...

pds said:
That's a pretty worthless article, hard to figure out why it got the stinger it did, except to impress those who only read that far. What is the point of comparing OS X to system 7??!!!

Double speak if you ask me, or filler parading as an analytical article.

The funny thing is that first quote... If I make a Windows-compatible OS, I am bound to be vulnerable to Windows-compatible exploits. It is just the nature of the business. However, I would like to note the Unix-based exploits require access to at least a user account, and some sort of weakness in one of the software applications with it set so it automatically runs a root when launched. Apple has been changing these applications that do this... so we should be able to see near-zero penetration of these exploits in the next few years.

Quote from Article:

• Is OS X safe enough to be a viable contender for running public Web sites and general enterprise applications?

Well, if Windows is, then Mac OS X surely is... and in fact Mac OS X would be a better choice even with the few flaws it has now.

So if that question was the basis of the article, all one would have to do is look at any data on security. According to MI2G both Mac OS X and FreeBSD seem more secure than Windows or Linux. Funny that that study (which was released last month) didn't make it into this article.

:rolleyes:

Must be poor research skills on the author's part. :D

well, from a more objective standpoint... let's be honest. the over-confidence of the Mac OS X is basically due to security via obscurity.

2% ya'll. keep it real.

being based on the BSD kernel means that it's likely that OS X is just as susceptible as most other *nix OS's via the BIND exploits.

there were some rights elevation issues prior to 10.2.8, a recent and yet to be fixed Quicktime exploit, and from I keep reading, people are now making strides in writing spyware for the mac now.

But... hey. this article, brings not much to light; but it does make people think. Even the complacent ones.

but we all know that Windows is most targeted because it's the most popular, right class?

gerbick said:
but we all know that Windows is most targeted because it's the most popular, right class?

-RacerX raises his hand-

But Mr. Gerbick, isn't Linux the most popular? Isn't the server market the one IT space where Windows isn't the monster power it is in other places?

well, from a more objective standpoint... let's be honest. the over-confidence of the Mac OS X is basically due to security via obscurity.

2% ya'll. keep it real.

Very real... because Apple had security as a priority when Mac OS X was being made, so there is less to fix, and fewer things were over looked.

Windows of today is built on legacy code from Windows NT. Microsoft grossly under estimated what it would take to be a server and enterprise solutions provider.

Few people know that HotMail was bought by Microsoft to highlight the abilities of Windows NT 4.0 Server. It was up for about a week with Windows before they had to take it down and ended up replacing it with FreeBSD until Windows 2000 Server came out and was able to handle the traffic.

Apple waited until Mac OS X Server 1.2 before they started serving there own sites. Now both Apple and iTunes are served off Mac OS X Server 10.x.

And we shouldn't forget that Apple (with NeXT before them) had more enterprise experience with WebObjects and Enterprise Objects long before Microsoft got around to their .Net idea.

No one is being complacent that I know of... except Microsoft. And even they are starting to feel the heat of their past carelessness.

Like you said, keep it real here. There are always problems every where. Ya wanta place a bet where the most problems lie? :D

gerbick said:

2% ya'll. keep it real.

being based on the BSD kernel means that it's likely that OS X is just as susceptible as most other *nix OS's via the BIND exploits.

there were some rights elevation issues prior to 10.2.8, a recent and yet to be fixed Quicktime exploit, and from I keep reading, people are now making strides in writing spyware for the mac now.

But... hey. this article, brings not much to light; but it does make people think. Even the complacent ones.

The "security by obscurity" excuse for Windows's various and sundry vulnerabilities is an assertion made without supporting evidence. Virtually every Windows exploit can be explained in terms of recognizeable design flaws or choices of default services rather than its popularity. By all evidence available to me, Windows XP is the most vulnerable release of the M$ OS yet. Despite assertions to the contrary, it is not the most popular version of Windows. That [dis]honor belongs to Windows 98. However, Windows 98 is immune to many of the worst Windows viruses.

gerbick said:

2% ya'll. keep it real.

im bored of ppl like u...
these kinda discussions have been around for years ...
go play somewere else. the fact is that there arent that many security holes in os x :) and there arent any viruses. if it was 50% market share for apple.. things would not be that diff.\
either accept it and live with it.... or beat it :p

RacerX said:
-RacerX raises his hand-

But Mr. Gerbick, isn't Linux the most popular? Isn't the server market the one IT space where Windows isn't the monster power it is in other places?

Apache and Linux Web Servers were the most defaced last year. However, Linux isn't the most popular attacked via virii and trojans. But you did state server market, so you're 100% correct. I can't argue with you on your points at all.

RacerX said:
Very real... because Apple had security as a priority when Mac OS X was being made, so there is less to fix, and fewer things were over looked.

Dude, I so agree with you here. I'll never forget how Microsoft took the month of February out last year to "focus on security"... uh-huh. A month.

RacerX said:
No one is being complacent that I know of... except Microsoft. And even they are starting to feel the heat of their past carelessness.

Agreed again. But are they feeling heat, or is it slowly becoming an accepted travesty that "you might get hacked, infected, exploited if you use Windows" (?) or is it more like roulette now with tons of lemmings lining up for the next version?

RacerX said:
Like you said, keep it real here. There are always problems every where. Ya wanta place a bet where the most problems lie? :D

I bet you can read my mind on this one ;)

soulseek said:
im bored of ppl like u...
these kinda discussions have been around for years ...
go play somewere else. the fact is that there arent that many security holes in os x :) and there arent any viruses. if it was 50% market share for apple.. things would not be that diff.\
either accept it and live with it.... or beat it :p
And I love you too, darling ::love::

accepting status quo has never been my style. especially from unsupported opinions from overt xenophobic conformist. toodles.

I won't say how it's done, but there is one easy way to totally screw over a system. (I don't want any of you hackers to get an idea!). Granted it's not on a large scale such as the viruses that have hit Windows, but nonetheless it can be done.

A HINT: it has something to do with a certain kyeboard combo at startup.

for some1 like u, i guess this article will please u !!!
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1408917,00.asp

know this is wrong, but in one respect I was happy to learn earlier this month about the discovery of a significant security hole in the Jaguar and Panther versions
The truth is that the Mac OS is just as vulnerable as Microsoft Windows.
Windows' market domination makes it a target for the virus authoring community.
If the Macintosh OS ever became dominant, the tables would turn, and there would be just as many reports of viruses, security holes, and attacks on it as we currently have with Windows.

of course i did laugh @ this article... because the guy is funny..

and im sure u wont really like this next article :
http://www.theregister.com/content/archive/34554.html

PC Magazine even gave Mac OS X "Panther" a 5-star rating in October 2003. Perhaps it was because Macs could now seamlessly fit into the Windows- dominated marketplace and satisfy Mac users refusing to relinquish their trusty systems and corporate IT staffs wanting to cut down on tech support calls.
Mac OS X is solid, secure, and perhaps the most trustworthy mainstream computing environment available today.
More to the point, his article is replete with factual errors. Had he done his homework instead of rushing to smear the Mac security community and fuel his Windows-based envy, he'd have known that not only did Apple tell Carrel on November 19 that a technical fix for the problem would be released in its December Mac OS X update, but that Apple released easy-to-read guidance (complete with screenshots) for users to mitigate this problem on November 26.* Somehow he missed that.
The real security wisdom of Mac OS lies in its internal architecture and how the operating system works and interacts with applications. It’s also something Microsoft unfortunately can’t accomplish without a complete re-write of the Windows software -- starting with ripping out the bug-riddled Internet Explorer that serves as the Windows version of "Finder."* (That alone would seriously improve Windows security, methinks.)
At the very least, from the all-important network perspective, unlike Windows, Mac OS X ships with nearly all internet services turned off by default. Place an out-of-the-box Mac OS X installation on a network, and an attacker doesn’t have much to target in trying to compromise your system
default installation of Windows, on the other hand, shows up like a big red bulls-eye on a network with numerous network services enabled and running.* And, unlike Windows, with Mac OS X, there’s no hard-to-disable (for average users afraid to tweak things unfamiliar to them, that is)* "Messaging Services" that results in spam-like advertisements coming into the system by way of Windows-based pop-up message boxes.
When I install an application, such as a word processor, I want to know with certainty that it will not modify my system internals. Similarly, when I remove the application, I want to know that when I remove it (by either the uninstaller or manually) it’s gone, and nothing of it remains on or has modified my system. Applications installed on Mac OS X don’t* modify the system internals – the Mac version of the Windows/System directory stays pretty intact.
However, install nearly any program in Windows, and chances are it will (for example) place a different .DLL file in the Windows/System directory or even replace existing ones with its own version in what system administrators of earlier Windows versions grudgingly called "DLL Hell."
Windows patches or updates often re-enable something you’ve previously turned off or deleted (such as VBScript or Internet Explorer) or reconfigures parts of your system (such as network shares) without your knowledge and potentially places you at risk of other security problems or future downtime.

anywayz. the article is long!!! read it all ! its interesting !! i think it speaks for itself . no need for me to say anythin else!!!

dude, cool article. seriously soulseek. even though I use MS products at the office, I'm a (mostly) mac person at the house because I know how inherently secure they are. I love my mac because I can check my e-mail without a lot of fear.

can't say the same about any of my contracts - I handle security for quite a few companies, and can say that I actually earned my MCSD.

Windows... it's atrocious! Microsoft has no concept of security, and as Racer X stated above; Apple took the time to build in security from the beginning. And it shows.

That PC Mag article... I don't agree with much of it, honestly. Glad to see it rebuked honestly.

Sidenote: how can you be tired of me... I've been here longer than you. Even paid the money to keep the site going. Or were you speaking figuratively? Either way, only via questioning the status quo, will things be done... and in this case, I just hope that Apple doesn't' get complacent. And Microsoft (?)... there's no hope for them.

Mmmh... I just want to say that while I appreciate the security of Mac OS X Server, it's plain wrong to feel perfectly secure using it as a server. Basically, Apple is using other people's products for serving DNS, Mail and Web services. And the BIND vulnerabilities of 2002 have shown that these products _do_ have issues just like anybody else's products. And Mac OS X Server inherits those issues, of course. The question is always how fast an exploit is found and how fast Apple issues a security update. Still: Better to start with a good platform. Just never forget to update, patch and stay awake as a server admin.

i wasnt referring to u personally.. im just bored of discussions sayin... apples marketshare is what makes it safe. and its not like that!

questioning the status quo is the only way to go forward...
but its a one thing to question..and a completely diff. thing to judge without knowing !!!

kalantna said:
I won't say how it's done, but there is one easy way to totally screw over a system. (I don't want any of you hackers to get an idea!). Granted it's not on a large scale such as the viruses that have hit Windows, but nonetheless it can be done.

A HINT: it has something to do with a certain kyeboard combo at startup.

Which means that someone has to be physically in contact with your system.

I don't want to give any one out there ideas, but I can think of a few ways to screw over a system when you have physical access.

A HINT: it has something to do with a big hammer. ;)

RacerX said:
A HINT: it has something to do with a big hammer. ;)

HAHAHAHHA.. what exactly do u mean ? cant think of anything!!!

the thing with os X is that if u wanna mess up the system u need to have access as an administrator.. more specifically to the root.
and even if u boot through another system, u cant do anythin with the system because u have to deal with permissions... :p

fryke said:
Mmmh... I just want to say that while I appreciate the security of Mac OS X Server, it's plain wrong to feel perfectly secure using it as a server. Basically, Apple is using other people's products for serving DNS, Mail and Web services. And the BIND vulnerabilities of 2002 have shown that these products _do_ have issues just like anybody else's products. And Mac OS X Server inherits those issues, of course. The question is always how fast an exploit is found and how fast Apple issues a security update. Still: Better to start with a good platform. Just never forget to update, patch and stay awake as a server admin.

This is the key... keep your platform up-to-date. Look at the number of large worms over the past year for Windows. How long was a patch available to fix the vulnerability before the worm hit?

1-3 months on average.

Those are some LAZY admins. I would say that MacOS X is as vulnerable as Windows if: 1) You don't keep up with security patches, and 2) You use vulnerable services. I would also say that Windows could be as secure as MacOS X if: 1) You keep up with security patches, and 2) You either disable or find alternatives for vulnerable services. The real problem comes from the lack of keeping up with IT problems.

soulseek said:
the thing with os X is that if u wanna mess up the system u need to have access as an administrator.. more specifically to the root.
and even if u boot through another system, u cant do anythin with the system because u have to deal with permissions... :p

It is a good thing that hackers (the type who sneak in to your home when you aren't looking) don't have access to Mac OS X install CDs.

Lets face it, if someone has physical access, there is no end to what they can do.

Keeping people away from your system has always been important... even back with Mac OS 7/8/9. And forget screwing up or braking into a system, at that point you should worry more about them just taking the whole thing!

Lets all remember that we are talking about remote attacks here. Everything else can be fixed with a good watch dog or a locked door.

Back