OS X Leopard

oh. that's a good point. Have intel fixed their 64bit CPU-running 32-bit code problem? it used to be a big problem, cus it had to use emulation to do it.. does that mean all the Intel macs will be 64 bit, (with no 32bit software for (intel macs) or that there will be PPC, x86-32 and x86-64 binaries needed for complete compatibility??

I learned that 10.5 possible kill Classic 9.

Apple Computer's move to Intel chips appears to spell the eventual end of support for older, pre-Mac OS X programs.

Current versions of Mac OS X support the running of Mac OS 9 programs in a "Classic" environment. However, documentation for Apple's Rosetta technology says the transcoding software will not support programs written for Mac OS 8 or Mac OS 9.

Rosetta was announced by CEO Steve Jobs on Monday as the translation software technology that will help ease Apple's planned transition to Intel-based chips. Rosetta will allow most of the Mac OS X programs to run on Intel-based Macs even if the software has not been compiled to run natively on Intel chips.

In an interview, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller did not definitively address future Classic mode support but said "it's certainly not very high on the priority list."

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/mac/0,39020393,39202161,00.htm

well they can't go on supporting OS 9 and further back forever now can they?!

by the time leopard should be released (according to jobs) at the end of 2006 - intelmacs will only have been on market for 6 months...

so how many people here actually believe that developers etc will suddenly stop making stuff for the HUGE market on PPC for the sake of a few hundred thousand who would have bought intelmacs by that time???

eh? so who actually thinks that?

who actually thinks that by the end of 2007 - when essentially the user base on PPC will STILL be larger than those on intelmacs those same developers will again turn their backs on such a huge market?! even by mid 2008!?!

full transition of OS (to intel and 64-bit) by end of 2008 at a minimum...

HomunQlus said:
It has been assumed here that "Leopard" won't come out for X86. I think it will come out for X86 as Apple begins to migrate with Intel. Wouldn't make much sense to make that OS for PPC only when they're no longer building PPC Macs, now would it?
Leopard will be availble for both PPC and x86 Macs, no doubt about that. How they do that will be very interesting though. I bet they won't sell it as retail for their Intel Macs, only their PPC, because all their Intel Macs by then probably will ship with it.

I think Leopard will be a much more minor version of OS X. I can't really imagine what will be its biggest features - definitely compiled as universal binary, or however they'll do that. But beyond that it's all blank. Anyone have any ideas? If they won't be featuring it until WWDC 2006 and they want it out by the end of 2006, that leaves developers little time to test their apps, so hopefully just small general changes and no major API changes either.

2006 - the year of Intel :D

they should still support classic in some way. it pisses me off about windows lack of decent dos emulation as it means that bloody fantastic old dos games can never be played again, without dusting off an ancient, and very wheezy pc. (monkey island!)

there are plenty of (usually) games that still launch classic. i'd still like the option. they don't need to support it as such, just, don't remove it!

kainjow said:
Leopard will be availble for both PPC and x86 Macs, no doubt about that. How they do that will be very interesting though. I bet they won't sell it as retail for their Intel Macs, only their PPC, because all their Intel Macs by then probably will ship with it.

I think Leopard will be a much more minor version of OS X. I can't really imagine what will be its biggest features - definitely compiled as universal binary, or however they'll do that. But beyond that it's all blank. Anyone have any ideas? If they won't be featuring it until WWDC 2006 and they want it out by the end of 2006, that leaves developers little time to test their apps, so hopefully just small general changes and no major API changes either.

2006 - the year of Intel :D

there lies a dilemma. they need some way of justifying $129. but, you're right, i even saw tigers feature set to be like scraping the bottom of the barrell... there was nothing truly innovative, other than spotlight, which i've never really liked

Classic support would be bad for Apple. They need to somehow force a way for developers to upgrade their software. If you so badly need to run old software, there are plenty of cheap Macs that run OS 8/9 on eBay! :)

Lt Major Burns said:
they should still support classic in some way. it pisses me off about windows lack of decent dos emulation as it means that bloody fantastic old dos games can never be played again, without dusting off an ancient, and very wheezy pc. (monkey island!)

check out DOSBOX (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1) I've been using it to play old DOS xwing games... Actually it might even run on mac...(I mean it runs on other *nix systems... so OSX should be possible...)

Lt Major Burns said:
there are plenty of (usually) games that still launch classic. i'd still like the option. they don't need to support it as such, just, don't remove it!

Perhaps someone will start a project like DOSBOX. I mean, currently OSX simply loads the whole OS 9.... I'm sure someone can create a similar app to start classic...

Classic is _HOW_ old? And Apple's STILL supporting it in Tiger? I almost can't believe _that_. Should Leopard kill Classic in 2007, I'll give them a round of mild applause, but I'll certainly have no sympathy for the whiners come January 2007.

I'm certain that most people aren't illusioning themselves that Classic will be in OSX forever. I mean it was a transitional tool so that developpers had more time to port their app to OSX and also not piss off people that just bought software ABC for OS9...

I think with OSX in its 5th iteration could very likely kill Classic support, you can see that this one of Steve's top priorities from all the past conferences (he always talks about how many people are on OSX)

I think that Apple should perhaps release the code to run Classic as a seperate Open Source project and let those who want to use it support it.

no, all i'm saying is don't remove the option to. sod bundling 9.2 or whatever, just save ability if you *want* to. i like flexibilty. removing classic would just restrict use. it wouldn't actually benefit the system removing it, but it offers some benefit by it being there, even if you don't ever use it. suddenly when you come accross a really old file that just needs one instance of a classic enironment (a long dead app for example), do you really want to have to boot up an old mac (if you even have one - i certainly don't) when you would actually be saying: crap. i wish i could just have it now.

Well, if it takes development hours to keep/make Classic compatible with newer hardware (intel) and OS versions, I rather see them skip Classic. If it's no effort to keep Classic alive, I say they should go with it... Maybe it just runs through Rosetta... But it's not like Classic's really needed anymore.

Back