OS X on a Sun blade 100 desktop

mike505

Registered
This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible at all to run osx on a sun blade100? can it be done? as the hardware of the sun blade seems very similar to what a mac uses, but i don't know too much, so i dunno
..Could it run osx? - Anyway possible, as the sun hardware is pretty tidy!
:)
Thanks any replies of a serious nature are encouraged.

if u port it, it's posible. and because mac os X is called unix, it should be posix, but how u port it, i don't know.

porting requires recompilation of code (i believe)...since we do not have the code porting is not possible (at least by any easy means)...so that is why I said no.

It doesn't matter that OS X is UNIX. There are UNIXen and UNIX clones on PC you know ;) (NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux etc) but that doesnt mean that OS X can run on a PC just because it's unix in it's current form lol ;) Hardware plays a role :)

Admiral

that's why the source needs to be ported to talk with the hardware, i only say it's posible when u can realy do some good programming :)

LOL...
well anything is possible IF the source is available :p The source *si not* available so there is no use in talking about it ;) lol...

then again DARWIN *is* open source so one can port it to sun, graft xf86 on it and there ya go ;)

it aint OS X but its apple! lol

Originally posted by PassY
if u port it, it's posible. and because mac os X is called unix, it should be posix, but how u port it, i don't know.

I'm not sure where you were going with this, but the only part of Mac OS X that is posix compliant is the BSD interface of Darwin (the libs and APIs), and would have nothing to do with porting the OS (Darwin, Aqua/Quartz, etc.) as a whole. It does come into play when porting apps for one OS to another.

Just FYI:D

Originally posted by mike505
This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible at all to run osx on a sun blade100? can it be done? as the hardware of the sun blade seems very similar to what a mac uses, but i don't know too much, so i dunno
..Could it run osx? - Anyway possible, as the sun hardware is pretty tidy!

The problem lies in the fact that Sun's use SPARC-based processors and Mac's use PPC-based processors. There is the possibility that you could run OpenStep for Solaris on the systems. This would give you a third option of environments to work in (Open Windows, CDE, OpenStep). The only problem is that the last version of OpenStep for Solaris was originally designed for Solaris 2.5 and the Sun Blade 100 is running Solaris 8 (actually it would have been 2.8 before they changed their version numbering system). OpenStep for Solaris is free though, and you get a Mac OS X-like experience (without Aqua) that is way better than CDE.

RacerX, you seam to know a bit about Solaris, so, even though this is off the topic, perhaps you will know how to do this:
I've got a SPARCstation 10 with solaris 2.5.6. Do you know how to configure the frame buffer settings (resolution, specifically)? I purchased this thing used and I don't have documentation (and I can't find any documentation about solaris' window server's settings on the internet).

Thanks, and sorry about the off-topic-ness.

Thanks. Openstep eh.. ok cool
As far as the hardware goes, yeah i thought that may be the case with the chip.. So woyld that be possible, to get a ppc chip into a snblade box? (replace the sparc chip) or is that not worth it, and i would be better off using the blade to run what it was made for (solaris 8) ?
thanks again.
:rolleyes:

LOL :D
Chip architectures, sockets, and motherboards for chips are different depending on the chip :p If what you were saying were feasable (i.e. take a chip, any chip and put it on any motherboard) right now I would have gotten a P4, slapped it on my mac motherboard and I would be playing around with some free x86 OSes...

If you want to re-engineer the socket, provide some additional hardware translation in the OS and make it work by reverse engineering you are welcome to try:rolleyes:

I would suggest you stay with solaris lol :p

Admiral
PS: Am I too sarcastic today or is it just me ?:cool:

SS10's usually came w/ CG6 or TurboGX graphics cards.
The standard resolution was 1152x900 at 8 bit depth.

I'd have to look (we still have a few 10's and 20's running around the office doing stuff) to see how/if it's adjustable but those graphics
cards were fixed frequency from what I remember so you couldn't just slap in any monitor. You might be able to adjust it via the parameters used when you start Xwindows on that box.

Did you try peeking in Open Firmware?

Pls consider shortening your .sig. 16 lines of every computer you ever owned on every post isn't necessary.

Originally posted by kilowatt
RacerX, you seam to know a bit about Solaris, so, even though this is off the topic, perhaps you will know how to do this:
I've got a SPARCstation 10 with solaris 2.5.6. Do you know how to configure the frame buffer settings (resolution, specifically)? I purchased this thing used and I don't have documentation (and I can't find any documentation about solaris' window server's settings on the internet).

Thanks, and sorry about the off-topic-ness.

You're either running 2.5, 2.5.1, or 2.6. Sun didn't release Solaris 2.5.6.

There are a few good sun resources you should be aware of. First is the sun-managers list. The archives for this list will answer 95% of any questions you might have. Second is docs.sun.com, which has almost all of Sun's documentation online, including man pages, hardware reference documents, etc. docs.sun.com is free.

For your issue, here's some info:
There's a shell script at:
http://bul.eecs.umich.edu/~crowej/sunfaq/progs/fbinfo
which should give you some good info on your framebuffer type and current settings.

If you're using an FFB framebuffer, check out the ffbconfig command, a la:
/usr/sbin/ffbconfig -prconf
/usr/sbin/ffbconfig -res \?
/usr/sbin/ffbconfig -res 1152x900x76

/usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo |grep dimension
should give you more information.

The usual way of setting your resolution (ie not using the ffbconfig or similar utility) is via the PROM. You can do this from within solaris by doing:
# eeprom output-device=screen:r1280x1024x76
or whatever as root, then reboot.

Or at the PROM, do:
ok setenv output-device screen:r1280x1024x76
ok reset
or whatever.

To find what resolutions are supported by your video card, you'll have to find the docs for your framebuffer, using fbinfo, ffbconfig, or xdpyinfo.

Best of luck,
-alex

there is no way an SS10 came w/ an FFB. They didn't start
showing up until the Ultra series of machines.

Do a 'dmesg' and look through the it to see what video card
you have on the Sbus.

For m64 cards: m64config

For ffb's : ffbconfig

The syntax is the same, ie:

To show available resolutions
ffbconfig -res \?

ffbconfig -res 1280x1024x76 try

to try for 10 seconds (run in text mode!!)

As always read the man pages...

Sorry if this a little off the topic!

Back