OS X on Ibook

IbookMan

Registered
Anyone who has OS X running an a 300mhz G3 Ibook with 128mb of ram let me know who it performs. I'm sure its ok but was just curious. Thanks! :)

I installed on my iBook last friday evening. Seems to run just fine, although I have not run Classic as yet.....

(It's an original 300mhz iBooh, but I've updated it to 160MB ram and 12GB Drive...)

Well, I'm a happy camper! :)

Hehehe,if you don't care let me know when you run classic and tell me how it works. Especially if you run something like Unreal Tournament and such. Thanks! ;-)

Originally posted by doppelbock
I installed on my iBook last friday evening. Seems to run just fine, although I have not run Classic as yet.....

(It's an original 300mhz iBooh, but I've updated it to 160MB ram and 12GB Drive...)

the Beta runs superbly on my ibook first edition, except
that the touchpad won't allow tapping or double-tapping.
OS9 still will allow it, but not the Beta.
How does one fix it, or is this another caveat, like; the
the Airport not working?

Aragorn: how much ram do you have and have you tried Classic yet? If so let me know how it performs. My copy should be here anytime but you know how UPS can be. ;-) Thanks!

Originally posted by IbookMan
Aragorn: how much ram do you have and have you tried Classic yet? If so let me know how it performs. My copy should be here anytime but you know how UPS can be. ;-) Thanks!

iBookMan: I've got 96 megs,.. I had almost a gig and a half of hard drive space for the install, but the actual data turns out to have used about 600 to 700 megs. It runs really good, at times a little slow, but except for the fact that the touchpad doesn't respond to tapping and the fact that I can't use the Airport, I do not regret my choice to install. BUT, you can always boot into OS 9 and achieve greater functionality,.. but.. I still haven't got the Airport to work there yet either. Only a matter of time. FedEx delivered my software, in three working days, don't know ' bout UPS though.

Somewhere in the Docs for OS X Public Beta, it mentions that Airport support is not enabled, so good luck getting it to work...

However, I will say that everything else (aside from not being able to tap the trackpad for clicking) does work fantastic on my iBook SE (first ed., 366MHz, 6GB HD, upgraded to 192mb of RAM).

Classic runs just fine for most programs I regularly use (except Virtual PC, do NOT launch VPC under OS X), and is only slightly slower than if I boot into OS 9 directly.

Back to the Virtual PC issue: I tried booting it once while booted in OS X/Classic environment, and got a message about my OS being unsupported and VPC would now quit. I didn't really expect an emulated environment to work in an emulated environment on beta software anyhow. Everything seemed fine until I booted directly back into OS 9 and tried to launch VPC. Crash and burn, it wouldn't launch anymore, even after many various updates, reinstalls, copying from backup, etc. I ended up wiping my HD clean and reinstalling everything (I had my VPC HD image backed up, thankfully...), never to attempt to launch VPC under OS X again.

(I should mention that it was actually DP4 I had installed at the time of this problem, and OS X PB which I have now, and have not tried, nor will try, launching VPC on.)

But again, for everything else, it looks and feels great. My favorite is being able to force-quit if something goes wrong with a program and not having the entire system brought to its knees...

Back