OS X powerbook and infrared, hmm

brodie

Registered
where is the control panel. preference panel for Infrared in X? can you run infrared in x.1.1? im talking about the TiBook of course.

But how do you even work this in OS 9, Kemistry? I have a TiBook A and a Nokia 8290 and would like to check my mail from the middle of nowhere. I remember putting my phone up to the PB and seeing that it recognized it in the IR control panel, but how do you dial through and stuff?

you create a new connection in Remote Access. Better still you create a new Profile (or Environment, not sure how its called in english OSs).
As a modem you choose Nokia (the one you have) in the modem control panel. I think this is alreadey on the Book. I have a Siemens and I had to search the net for a modem description, but I found one and put that into the modem description folder. The other stuff is the same as for a "normal" dial-up PPP-connection, just the modem is different. Your phone needs to have a modem build in, but all newer models have (your Nokia seems to have on I guess, sicne the 8000er series are the top-models).
Then you fill in a mobile provider phone number in Remote Access, and dial. Here in Germany every network has mobile dial-up numbers, check for that on the website of your network provider.
Then it connects (with normal GSM network it won't get faster than 9600 bps, you need a GPRS capable phone an network to get up to 56.000). And the rest ist the same. Just check/send your mail. It's slow but for emails enough.
It worked for me all over Europe. I was able to check/send mail from the North of Sweden, where there is just forest, but still GSM coverage. That's cool.

Hope this helps. If you need mor info, ask. It's fairly easy and I want to have (I need) this in X!

Back