OS X Server 10.4 Mail Server Mailing Lists

crewer

Registered
Has anyone had any success at setting up mailing lists on the mail server? I have tried several times now, and each time I hit save, the list disappears. Where it goes, I have no idea. Any thoughts?

I'm not using the mail server for anything other than the lists. Our DNS and sub domains are hosted on another server.

crewer said:
Has anyone had any success at setting up mailing lists on the mail server? I have tried several times now, and each time I hit save, the list disappears. Where it goes, I have no idea. Any thoughts?

I'm not using the mail server for anything other than the lists. Our DNS and sub domains are hosted on another server.

I had the same probl;em with 10.3.4 mailinglists. Regretfully someone else solved that problem, so i can not give you a suggestion on that.

Have you started any other mailservice like smtp. Maybe the system requires that. I have mailinglists available on 10.4, but did noit encounter any other problems.

A brute force solution is reinstalling the os (should not be a problem if the only use of the server is mailinglists. When i am back home a can look up which directory the files are in.

By the way have you checked the log files for errors ?

Good luck, Kees

Kees Buijs said:
Have you started any other mailservice like smtp. Maybe the system requires that. I have mailinglists available on 10.4, but did noit encounter any other problems.

A brute force solution is reinstalling the os (should not be a problem if the only use of the server is mailinglists. When i am back home a can look up which directory the files are in.

The SMTP mail service is currently running. Actually the server is sharing files, so there are accounts set up on it. And, I had already done the "reinstall" when the mailing lists were disappearing, but that didn't do the trick.

I do have the server set up as a standalone, but that shouldn't be the problem. If I can't get this resolved, I guess I'll have to rely on a third party solution for running listservs.

crewer said:
The SMTP mail service is currently running. Actually the server is sharing files, so there are accounts set up on it. And, I had already done the "reinstall" when the mailing lists were disappearing, but that didn't do the trick.

I do have the server set up as a standalone, but that shouldn't be the problem. If I can't get this resolved, I guess I'll have to rely on a third party solution for running listservs.

Did you check all logs on the mailinglist server. As far as i can remember, we solve the problem by replacing the db.backup map/files.

I suggest you make it first a full function mailserver (incl. incoming mail). Did you check that SMTP was woirking netaly ? Check if you receive messages. I expect it will be something like that. Also make sure that you allow address 127.0.0.1 as a accepted address for relaying as that was another problem i had to solve to get my mailinglists working.

Good luck, Kees

I have mailing lists working on my 10.4.2 Server after many hours trying various settings. I found the key is to have the Domain name and Host name settings set up correctly in the General/settings, Domain name (localhost) and the Host name (external domain name including the www. If you do not have a domain name for the server, use www.Dyndns.org)
I tried many options including 'IP addresses' and 'server.local' options but could only get it to work with a www.domain.name

garymum4d said:
I have mailing lists working on my 10.4.2 Server after many hours trying various settings. I found the key is to have the Domain name and Host name settings set up correctly in the General/settings, Domain name (localhost) and the Host name (external domain name including the www. If you do not have a domain name for the server, use www.Dyndns.org)
I tried many options including 'IP addresses' and 'server.local' options but could only get it to work with a www.domain.name

That is true, I remember now. It was included in my notes:

Included my main notes on the mail stuff.

Software = CyrusDB - found in map “/usr/bin/cyrus”.

Your URL can be configure in
“/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py”

Hostname can be set in:
“/private/etc/hostconfig”

All mails are stored under CYRUS in map
“/var/spool/imap”

Thee databases etc. under CYRUS in map
“/var/imap”

After changing the hostname it can happen that the sender containts the old HOSTNAME.

Als check that the ocalhost (127.0.01) as valid SMTP number is allowed !!!

Afterwards the HOSTNAME and the DOMAINNAME must be identical (Otherwise you might get the error: nodename not assigned).

MAILMAN - ONLINE setup

User: www.kb-computer.com/mailman/listinfo/listnaam
Admin: www.kb-computer.com/mailman/admin/listnaam
Moderation www.kb-computer.com/mailman/admindb/listnaam

Message - Relay Denied

The SMTP server blocks all messages send from an ip-number, which is not configure as allowed. This can be setup with the following tool: Server Admin tool, server MailServer, Option MAIL, sub-option SETTINGS, choice FILTERS.

By ‘Accept SMTP …’ all valid ip-nummers separate or as a range e.g. 192.168.42.0/24. Hierbij is 24 het aantal geldige bits. For mailman add the localhost (127.0.0.1) as valid ip-number.

By ‘Refuse all …’ include the router. This should prevent becoming your mailserver as a open-relay mailserver e.g. spammers will notice this and relay their SPAM through you).

Maybe some information was not know to you, good luck, KEES

Back