OS X Server Tiger Problems (AFP & FTP)

lestudiodev

Registered
Hi,

I just installed OS X Server 10.4 on a brand new iMac G5 2Ghz.

I pretty much set everything right for web hosting, file sharing and printer sharing for the 3 other computers on the network.

I only have a problem with the AFP Service, it's permissions..

I cannot set new files & directories permissions to the "receive from parent" option... it's like all grey.. so whenever I copy a file on the server from another computer, only the owner has write privileges, which is very annoying...

Setting the FTP Server was also a problem.

First of all, I would like each user authorized to see only the directories for which he has read or write privileges, but I cannot figure out how to do this. Every user sees all directories on my FTP Server.

One other thing is the connection speed to the FTP Server. Even on my local network it takes between 30s and 2mn to connect.

Thank you for your help

Sebastien

There's a known issue about the AFP service in Tiger Server. I haven't tested 10.4.1 to see if it was fixed in the update or not, but it is the exact issue your having.

I haven't used the FTP server in Tiger yet, though I could fire it up later and give it a try for ya! :)

I have installed 10.4.1 but I still cannot change this option...

I am trying to use my FTP service with a dynamic IP and dyndns, but it's not really working, or only once in a while...

It's only been a few days so I'm not desperate yet...

Thanks

What do you mean by not really working? Remember, when you use DynDNS with a dynamic IP, you have no assurances of proper connectivity or speeds from your ISP. The point of clarification would be, are you having FTP issues with Tiger Server internally, meaning on the same local network as your server, or from the outside trying to come in? :)

I understand your question.

I think I have 2 distinct FTP problems.

One is on my local network, using the 192.168.0.2 local IP adresse of the server, it takes about a minute to connect to the server, which seems a lot to me...

The other is when I try to access my FTP Server fromthe outside, using my DynDNS adress.

It works, sometimes, and takes ages to connect...

I am in France, using a ADSL connexion with 2 Mb download and 128 Kb upload... I might try a connexion with a better upload bitrate...

So today I would say I have not solved any of my problems, which makes my Tiger Server OS pretty useless compared with my old 10.3 with Sharepoints....

I'll be patient..

Cheers

ok,

after spending 2h on the phone with apple support I found that I had to use the access control lists to do that, because the 'get permissions from parents is not working yet'.

Also found out that my slow ftp connexion was due to my router. I did try some things but now I cannot connect to my FTP using any existing account, but only as anonym...

I'm trying to fiw rhis one now with Apple Support but I feel like we are only a dozen on earth using Os X Server Tiger...

I'll let you know...

I can confirm that 10.4.1 doesn't inherit the permissions from the parent as it should do when using afp services smb services works fine.

I can confirm that 10.4.1 doesn't inherit the permissions from the parent as it should do when using afp services smb services works fine.

Hi, I appear to have the same problem with 10.4.8 server with AFP as the original poster:

I cannot set new files & directories permissions to the "receive from parent" option... it's like all grey.. so whenever I copy a file on the server from another computer, only the owner has write privileges, which is very annoying...

Am I doing something wrong or is this still a bug?

Many thanks

--David

Back