OS X--so SLOW part deux

tonbo

Registered
Okay, I admit I didn't go out and purchase more RAM, like everyone told me to in my first post about this. My finances are hurting after paying for this heap of circuits.

But as I sit here, typing on my OS 9 iBook, I observe my shiny new OS X flat-panel iMac, trying to display the contents of a data DVD. At my last count, I have been waiting over 8 minutes. This on a DVD that loaded within 20 seconds on my old G4 733 (OS 9.)

This, my friends, is a crime.

It is a crime to sell to the general public a machine that, without expensive modification (ie. $100 or so for more RAM) functions little better than a machine that went almost 20 years before it--namely, the Mac Plus.

(Meanwhile, the iMac has gone to sleep. Can it really have been 12 minutes since I inserted the DVD? Umm, yes. I hear the drive huffing and puffing as it tries to load.)

Yes, it's true, as I go over and check. Half the contents of the DVD have actually been loaded onto the screen. Whoopee fxxxing ee-yi-yay.

So much for productivity. Anyone want a 17" flat-panel iMac? Not cheap?

you think it's supposed to be that way? :confused:
something's wrong with either the dvd or the player. most likely the dvd itself. try cleaning it ;)

I agree with KSV.

It's been a few weeks since I've used a data DVD, but I don't remember any unusually long delays.

Doug

Back