OS X Software written in Java

Ceroc Addict

Registered
I remember Apple claims at a local developer seminar that Java was a "first class citizen" on OS X.

Is anyone aware of what programs exist for OS X that have been completely (or even mostly) written in Java?

Kap

Do you mean Java apps that use the Cocoa frameworks and Mac GUI or apps that are simple Java applications that run completely in Java? NeoOffice/J, for example, is using Java/Cocoa for the interface for OpenOffice.org...

fryke said:
Do you mean Java apps that use the Cocoa frameworks and Mac GUI or apps that are simple Java applications that run completely in Java? NeoOffice/J, for example, is using Java/Cocoa for the interface for OpenOffice.org...
All of the above.

I especially want to get a big picture on the extent and type of use of Java on OS (for desktop applications).
  • Does Apple write any of it's own apps in Java?
  • What percentage of apps on OS X are completely written in Java?
  • Are there any big companies and/or major applications written in Java?
  • Why mix Java in with other languages on OS X? (and vice versa)
Any other perspectives people might have.

Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
I remember Apple claims at a local developer seminar that Java was a "first class citizen" on OS X.

Is anyone aware of what programs exist for OS X that have been completely (or even mostly) written in Java?

Kap
The software bundled with my CD/DVD labels is written in Java. It runs. Unfortunately, it won't stay away.

Back