OS X System failure

sprale

Registered
My Mac died last week and neither I nor IT have been able to resurrect it. It is a Dual 2.3 G5 with 10.4.11 installed. I got a kernel panic and the fans ran up to full speed and stayed there while I went to lunch. It sounded like a jet taxiing on the runway.

I can not get any boot options on the system. No safe boot or target mode. The Startup Manager just shows a lock, what looks like a password entry field and an arrow. I try to enter known passwords, but no luck. I can get the Open Firmware screen, but know nothing about it.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

I think you're gonna need the Software Restore Disc that shipped with your Dual 2.3 G5. Boot from the disc holding the C key when you hear the startup chime and navigate through the menu until you can open Disc Utility. It's accessed through the menu bar so keep a look out for when the menu bar appears during the prelude to installation of the OS. I'm not 100% sure but the menubar heading might be Utilities. Run a check on the permissions and the hard drive and see how it checks out.

I got it now! The problem was an Open Firmware Password used.

Force Removing Password Protection

1) Add or remove DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM in the computer.

2) Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + P + R).

Back