OS X - the web server.

mikasjoman

Registered
Hi, I have been using OS X for a while now, both as my main dev computer and as a web devellopment server. (Lasso 5)

And I find out that many things are not how they should be.

For example OpenSSL is not working, even if it is installed. PHP is installed, but you have to go to the httpd.conf file to make it work.

What would really be cool, is if you could add MySQL to the computer.

And add three checkboxes to the sharing panel:

Allow PHP, Allow MySQL and Allow OpenSSL (witch is installed but not working).

If you do this, PC users and Linux gurus will be looking at the mac platform, I promise you!

Nobody can say that your not commited to make OSX to the coolest web devellopment machine out there! And it should not take you 2 days to add it to your installer after you have made the deal with MySQL AB in sweden.

I think they would be thrilled to see the whole Mac community having MySQl on their computers. OK, I know that you own Filemaker inc, but SQL should not be a threat to the company. Filemaker has another market as their target.

Kind regards

-Mika Sjøman

It's just as difficult already to enable these features under Linux, so I don't see how making it in the sharing control panel would sway those ./configure addicts. :p

Question: doesn't Mac OS X server have everything built in graphically? Really that is the OS Apple is trying to sell to those that want the GUI interface to all the features.

If not, under an Advanced tab in sharing would be a good place to set these. You wouldn't want people who just wanna serve up a simple site accidently turning things on they don't know about.

I think it would acctually sway all those ./config people.

Most of them who get into using SSL are people who just want things to get done. Nerds don´t use it - we use it for business.

I understand what you are getting to thow, the OS X client is not ment as a web server, OS X server is.
But OS X Server has problems, that Client does not.

For example it´s impossible to run LassoService under it right now, and many other apps.

If apple want´s to give everybody the strengths of UNIX and the web,make my recomendations true, otherwise take OpenSSL away from the OSX client.
As it is now, just taking up space.
But if you´d like to have those professionals out there on the hook - not using OS X or Mac´s, give us what you promissed when you put OpenSSL there in the first place.

An advanced tab would be nice with the warnings attached to it. But really do you need warnings to not let people set it on?
It´s only used if somebody makes a question to the web server with https://.
My answer would be: no.

Back