OS X Tiger Networking

darko_

Registered
I recently upgraded from the normal OS X panther to Tiger.
Since I upgraded I have found that I cannot see anyone on my network, even though my internet is working I cannot see any other computers (Pc's) over the network.

I am connecetd to a router from my mac and I have three other PC's connected also to that router. Since I have no actual idea on how to set the network up on a mac I thought of coming here.

Is there anyway I can fix this to see other computers on the network?

1.) Make sure you're running the very _latest_ version of Tiger, i.e. run Software Update and install 10.4.6 as well as all security updates available.

2.) Turn OS X' firewall _off_ for testing this. We don't want it interfering here.

3.) Give the Finder _time_ to display any networked machines. Reboot the Tiger machine so we know it's in a clean state.

If after all this it still fails to show the machines, we'll look into how the shared PCs are set up. Now _that'll_ be fun. ;)

lol ok, hopefully we wont have to go into detail with how the shared PCs are set up!. I have an adsl2 internet connection so It should download rather fast!

Actually, the internal networking should not go through the internet at all. Do the PCs and the Mac have internal IP addresses? (Like those which start with 192.168.?)

Well I've completely Updated the os x tiger!
when i go to network in finder the folders come up called
Libary
Servers
My Network
Workgroup

My network is plainly called "Network"
So sadly enough it didnt work as easily as that :(

The "Network" folder is like "My Network Places" in Windows XP. Once in there, you should see any network items start to appear (this is assuming that your settings in Systems Preferences-->Network are configured properly). Have you tried looking in "Servers" to see what's in there?

The other option is to go to the Finder menu and select Go-->Connect to Server. There you can have some more options on what's available to you.

Hope this helps.

nixgeek said:
The "Network" folder is like "My Network Places" in Windows XP. Once in there, you should see any network items start to appear (this is assuming that your settings in Systems Preferences-->Network are configured properly). Have you tried looking in "Servers" to see what's in there?

The other option is to go to the Finder menu and select Go-->Connect to Server. There you can have some more options on what's available to you.

Hope this helps.
Well in the servers network folder is my g5 computer. The other network folders are empty and going into connect to Server comes up with the same stuff.. It sux but thats how it is.. I'm not quite sure how to set the network up on the mac thats why im having this trouble!
I am an IT student so I know how to use computers just mainly pc's

OK, if you head into System Preferences and click on the Network preference pane, you'll notice a list of your interfaces. This should give you some information on the status of the interface. To change the settings of a particular interface, just double click on the interface listed and change the settings. If all the computers are getting their IPs dynamically, then you need to set the interface for DHCP.

You mentioned that you could get Internet, but weren't specific as to whether it was Internet access in general for your network or for the Mac specifically.

Well, I get internet from the router and everyone on the network just gets it from the network.. I didnt quite understand the question lol but i hope it helps.

I've configured the IPv4 settings to Using DHCP

Well my internet access is for every computer on the network since I have a router/modem!

I've set the thing to dhcp even tho it was a sec ago I just double check!

According to your settings, everything is set up properly. What status message does the Network pane give you about the interface you're trying to connect with? Is this using hardwired Ethernet or wireless using Airport?

nixgeek said:
What status message does the Network pane give you about the interface you're trying to connect with?
Ok, where I am suppose to find that bit? :S sorry...
I'm using the built in Ethernet network card with the standard network cable.. It was working perfectly before I upgraded!

darko_ said:
Ok, where I am suppose to find that bit? :S sorry...
I'm using the built in Ethernet network card with the standard network cable.. It was working perfectly before I upgraded!

In System Preferences right after you click on the Network pane. It should list you the interfaces and a brief message about their status (something like "the interface is enabled but cannot receive a network address").

It says Built-in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.1.1.2 You are connected to the internet via Built-in Ethernet

darko_ said:
It says Built-in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.1.1.2 You are connected to the internet via Built-in Ethernet

OK, if that interface is showing a green button, then it's good. You might be having issues with DNS resolutions if you address is being acquired dynamically. You can either set them manually in that section on the Mac under DNS, or you can configure your DHCP server (sometimes the router has this function) to give out the DNS nameservers as part of the DHCP request. The latter is the better option. This is how I have my Macs and PCs connecting to one another and to the Internet.

OK, thanks alot!
Could you by any chance tell me how to convifigure my DHCP server to give ou tthe DNS nameservers?

darko_ said:
OK, thanks alot!
Could you by any chance tell me how to convifigure my DHCP server to give ou tthe DNS nameservers?

For example, my WRT54G has a web interface with a section for DHCP. In there, I include the DNS servers from my ISP so that it can send them out to clients requesting DHCP information. Depending on your router, you might have to go into the web interface for that router. Check your manual to see how to access it as each router does it differently.

Back