OS X Tiger Server / Fibrenetix RAID not mounting

concept27

Registered
Hi all!

Small intro. We are a total PC shop with 8 PC server. Our Graphics department has 2 G5's. I have configured an G4 mirrored door (dual 1GHz) with a Fibrenetix FX-605 FW (FW800 with 5 HDD Link to Fibrenetix site ) RAID Array with 400GB of storage. When the server comes up the RAID array mounts with no problems and users can connect the share. Problem #1. The drives keep failing and need to be rebuilt. I already issued a ticket on this with the manufacturer. However, the array keeps losing connectivity and the drive can not mount. I am not a MAC guru (hence my post here) and any comment is greatly appreciated.

Thx

Henry

Honestly? It sounds like you have some faulty hardware. If you have drive failures with the device as it is, its not unreasonable to think that the FireWire component may be failing as well. I haven't had any FireWire issues with Tiger or Tiger Server.

If you don't see the drive on the desktop, you can check the system profile or the terminal to see if the device is being read at all.

Go3iverson said:
If you don't see the drive on the desktop, you can check the system profile or the terminal to see if the device is being read at all.

Thanks for the reply. The drive mounts fine, but it drops after a few days. I think maybe there is a script I can run to "REGISTER" it somehow. I know I am thinking PC-ish because of the registry. I am just not a unix guy. How can I ensure the drive stays mounted?

This might sound silly, but does the Mac by chance go into sleep mode at all? If so, this might be what is causing the disconnection of the RAID array. Check in System Preferences-->Energy Saver and make sure that all the settings are set to the rightmost position which will set it to "Never" sleep.

Just a hunch... :D

Back