OS X Tiger?

guilly

Too handsome to use a PC
So it seems that Apple is going to unveil at WWDC the new "Tiger".

On one side, it is very good seeing that Apple does not waste time developing its products.

But on the other side, I feel quite deceived. I just bought a new computer with OS X Panther (which I like a lot), a few months ago I bought OS X Jaguar, and now comes Tiger.

No really good prices exist for updates, which should be free de facto, but are not.

Will I need to upgrade my hardware in 6 months again to support the new OS (which will probably in the short term force me to update)?. This ratio of spenditure, even though my personal economy is quite healthy, I can't stand.

What do you people think? I would like to hear some opinions about Apple's frenetical OS X updates and its pricing policies in this matter. Am I the only one who feels betrayed?

I'm confused.
You bought a computer with Panther... and then you bought Jaguar?
Or was Jaguar for a different computer?

What are the specs on your computer you just bought? Most likely you won't have to worry about hardware upgrades for a while. As for pricing, I'll admit I'm not too crazy about it either.

The Memory Hole said:
I'm confused.
You bought a computer with Panther... and then you bought Jaguar?
Or was Jaguar for a different computer?

What are the specs on your computer you just bought? Most likely you won't have to worry about hardware upgrades for a while. As for pricing, I'll admit I'm not too crazy about it either.

Ouch nono. Sorry I did not make myself clear. Before I had my PowerBook with a G4 I had an iBook G3 with OS X.1.3, for which I bought Jaguar after a couple of months.

My new computer is far from being at the top of Apple's hardware list, but I'm afraid that at this rate it will become very obsolete in 2 to 3 months. It s a PowerBook G4 1 GHz 32 MB SDRAM 768 MB RAM (this last thing is the only thingy I think will stay up-to-date).

I don't understand why ppl simply have to own the most recent hardware and software and then complain when the update refreshrate is quite high. Am not really talking about you, guilly, but your thread shows a slight tendency into that direction. I think ppl should go for what they need. What do I need the recent hardware for, when my work can be done with the last generation model as well? I think your hardware is quite fine and panther is a very robust and powerful os. I don't think you will need to update and I am sure your hardware won't get obsolete that soon. My ibook is more than 2 years old and wasn't even the most powerful book in those days and still it's far away from being obsolete.
Take those high update frequencies as a great opportunity for ppl that are in urge need of faster, more extensive and reliable systems.
And I don't think tiger will be officially released by the end of this year. I remember how much time it took from the first panther builds till the final version.

Try installing Panther on your older mac... it will run fine. Then when Tiger comes out it will also run fine on your newer machine (probably your older one as well). OSX allows for a lot more flexibility when running on older hardware than say... Windows.

guilly said:
So it seems that Apple is going to unveil at WWDC the new "Tiger".

On one side, it is very good seeing that Apple does not waste time developing its products.

But on the other side, I feel quite deceived. I just bought a new computer with OS X Panther (which I like a lot), a few months ago I bought OS X Jaguar, and now comes Tiger.

No really good prices exist for updates, which should be free de facto, but are not.

Will I need to upgrade my hardware in 6 months again to support the new OS (which will probably in the short term force me to update)?. This ratio of spenditure, even though my personal economy is quite healthy, I can't stand.

What do you people think? I would like to hear some opinions about Apple's frenetical OS X updates and its pricing policies in this matter. Am I the only one who feels betrayed?

Anim8r said:
Try installing Panther on your older mac... it will run fine. Then when Tiger comes out it will also run fine on your newer machine (probably your older one as well). OSX allows for a lot more flexibility when running on older hardware than say... Windows.

Yer right, I had the chance to prove it. Also the OS becomes more powerful and on the other hand developers switch to new Mac OS X.4 (i.e.) and there's no longer support for - let's say - OS X.3 (it has already happened with many X.1.3 software). That is what really scares the hell out of me. I will find some new software for Mac OS X I had been waiting for, but it will only be compatible with X.4 due to "this" and "that". And I will have to pay another $120 to get the Tiger.

Sorry, this is only speculation.

I agree with Guilly. I went from OS X Cheeta (came with my G3 500 ibook in 2001) to Panther just last year.. It was a great leap for me, but after looking at the feature list of Tiger, I wonder why it would warrant its high cost. I'm lucky to be a student and have access to special prices (got panther for 99 $CAD) cause if not I'd still be running 10.1.5.. actually I'd be running Linux as I was originally.. but I digress.

Someone mentioned that you don't have to be on the cutting edge all the time, well speaking as a person that had 10.1.5 for which safari, X11, etc ... didn't work on 10.1.5 when 10.2 was out... it kinda sucks that most of Apple's software developped after an OS revision won't work well or at all on previous versions.. I think that right now people are still doing ok running Jaguar but I'm not so sure once Tiger comes out... and those upgrades are spaced out by what 2-3 years ?

I think that the upgrades should be less expensive to compensate for those of us (students, or everyone actually) that don't have 100 $ to blow every year ..

my 0.02 $

To some having a new OS is a fashion statement like women owning the newest line from their favorite designer. When I first started using an Apple IIGS just like my father did with his classic cars I had to customize everything from the screen to putting the apple logo/stickers on the mouse and keyboard. I guess I was trying to elicit a response from someone... just like my father when he kept tinkering with exhausts and fuzzy dice and new chrome blowers for his cars. But hardly did anyone show up to see the cool looking GS. As the years continued I continued to add a touch of my own to my macs. Colorful wallpaper, startup sounds/movies, talking moose and flying toasters. Then when I knew a little bit about the operating system I started tweaking everything with resedit and downloading every single system update/patch from apple. Scouring development boards for the tiniest of updates like apple talk 2.1.4.2.1c and belgian waffle printer driver .0.8.3b. Most was a waste of time, why I did it I had no clue. (some tend to their gardens or cars, some spend time at the manicurist weekly updating their nails or working on the newest tans) Then I started standing in line the night before waiting for the newest Mac updates from 7 to 9 and then getting my copy of 10 preview, hoping daily to get to use the software update function. I've slowed down my craze but still have a nice fresh copy of the next version within 2 weeks after its debut. I told myself if Apple charges more than $289 for an update I'll probably wait but for now getting a new wardrobe for my mac for under $200 bucks every year or so aint to bad. And when the side of the box says I need to get a new mac, heck I guess I'll just have to just that.

I'm not a huge fan of shelling out a bunch of cash every year for a new OS, but it is usually worth it. not only do you get new features, but each release seems to run smoother and faster. I am running Panther on a PowerBook G4 and a PowerMac Dual G4 (450) and both of them run much faster than they did while running Jaguar...which was faster than 10.1...etc. So the OS updates really extend the life of your hardware, because they get faster each time! Not to say that you shouldn't upgrade periodically, but the hardware is definitely not obsolete for at least a couple years after purchase. This is especially true if you have plenty of RAM.

-JARinteractive

My complains aren't with the upgrade... I find its good to see a vendor upgrade its OS more than once per 5 years or more ... but my beef is with the price tag attached to it... like I said I went from 10.1 to 10.3 ... it was a huge difference... but was 10.2 to 10.3 that much of a leap, enough for 200 $? ? I've seen mixed reviews about that..

I think that apple could benefit by selling upgrades at half cost.... making it easier for people to keep up.. and offer their new software (in the future) to everyone.. instead of the people that just dished out the 200 $ upgrade. I just hope Tiger doesn't suddenly make 10.2 obselete like 10.2 made 10.1 obselete.

I think a new OS every year is ok - cramming the last twelve months' advance in technology and functionality in there for anyoe who wants it. But you don't have to upgrade - I could name several hundred people right now who use OS 9 quite happily (they are the people I support) - thats 9 not Classic. And their machines will all run the latest X (if you include the patch to run Panther on G3s).
What I want to know is the game plan for non-supported hardware. Already G3s officially don't run Panther without a patch, and they've finally stopped selling the high-end G4s. Whats next, will they stop supporting anything below a Ghz machine I know (its more to do with Firmware and componenets btu you know what I mean)?
Hopefully then I'll just have to buy a CPU upgrade for my G4 for a hundred quid or so.

I'd like a G5, but I don't need one...

xarcom said:
I agree with Guilly. I went from OS X Cheeta (came with my G3 500 ibook in 2001) to Panther just last year.. It was a great leap for me, but after looking at the feature list of Tiger, I wonder why it would warrant its high cost. I'm lucky to be a student and have access to special prices (got panther for 99 $CAD) cause if not I'd still be running 10.1.5.. actually I'd be running Linux as I was originally.. but I digress.

I'm sorry... I didn't realize there was a feature list for Tiger anywhere.

Listen, with all due respect, both of you guys need to go cry somewhere else. Compare Mac OS X updates with Windows updates, both in features, cost, and frequency. There is no question Apple has it right. There is a TON of work that goes into each of the innovations that Apple puts in a new OS release, and I think everyone needs to start respecting that. Microsoft takes forever to release an OS and it always falls short of what everyone hopes it will be. Apple (nearly) always makes people so excited about their innovations that they get people out in force on the day of the release just to get the chance to buy the new OS. That tells me that the price point is definitely not too high.

Apple releases a new OS every year that has more innovation in it than the last 3 Windows releases. Show some respect. If you're a poor student, don't buy it, but don't complain, because Windows updates cost like $400. Or, you could always take advantage of the Apple student discounts.

I know the point was that you want a full price and an upgrade price, but think of it this way: EVERY purchase of the software is an upgrade. New full versions are handed out for free when you buy a mac.

I think, plain and simple, that if you don't want the update, don't pay for the update. If you want it, gauge whether or not it's worth it to you, based on a Features and Benefits comparison.

The silly thing is, and what people seem to have forgotten, is that this software is made by humans. Not perfect, higher, infallible beings. Humans who can make mistakes. I love it when everyone rushes out to get the newest version of OS X and then complains that it left them in the cold in some aspect or was "too expensive."

The general rule has ALWAYS been that you stay one step behind the updates and let everyone else slog through the problems. Case in point: I didn't download iTunes 4.5 right away (when "Software Update" told me to, ironically!) and thus didn't have to deal with its ensuing problems because everyone else did…and boy did we all hear about it! My iPod doesn't work! A common complaint with that release.

I agree with a previous poster that whatever is "new" is the thing to have. It's fashionable and cool to have the latest OS X in your computer so you can come to forums like this or have your friends over to your house and show them how amazing your computer is. It's just good economics for apple to do this, and shows that they know human nature and how their product tickles our fancy.

:)

Just a clarification.
Windows XP upgrade can be had for $199.
Still no bargain in my mind considering it's flaws.

macgeek said:
I'm sorry... I didn't realize there was a feature list for Tiger anywhere.

Well if you do a little research you might find some speculated features.. of course no official feature list is available... (we are talking about Apple here)

macgeek said:
Listen, with all due respect, both of you guys need to go cry somewhere else.

What respect ? You just insulted us both ? I guess its too much to ask to have a discussion on a forum.

macgeek said:
Compare Mac OS X updates with Windows updates, both in features, cost, and frequency. There is no question Apple has it right. There is a TON of work that goes into each of the innovations that Apple puts in a new OS release, and I think everyone needs to start respecting that.

I respect the work that was done in the upgrade, although minor UI tweaks isn't what I would call innovation. The best thing about going to panther for me was speed since I have a G3, that and having apple's X11.

macgeek said:
Microsoft takes forever to release an OS and it always falls short of what everyone hopes it will be. Apple (nearly) always makes people so excited about their innovations that they get people out in force on the day of the release just to get the chance to buy the new OS. That tells me that the price point is definitely not too high.

Thus why I said previously that I find its great to have upgrades quickly instead of 1 / 5 years.

macgeek said:
Apple releases a new OS every year that has more innovation in it than the last 3 Windows releases. Show some respect.

You cannot compare an Apple user with an MS user, they're just differen't types of users with different needs in my view. Else why wouldn't everyone use Macs? its clearly superior.

As for the respect, perhaps it would be time for you to accept that people have their own opinions and that is what forums are for: discussing things. if you can't deal with that, thats not my problem.

macgeek said:
If you're a poor student, don't buy it, but don't complain, because Windows updates cost like $400. Or, you could always take advantage of the Apple student discounts.

Without the "poor student" Apple doesn't have a future. Show some respect for those who are the future of apple and that will make apple thrive.

macgeek said:
I know the point was that you want a full price and an upgrade price, but think of it this way: EVERY purchase of the software is an upgrade. New full versions are handed out for free when you buy a mac.

Well its nice that you eventually got to the point of my post. As I said, my beef is with Apple's policy of releasing an upgrade, and then all new software is made for the latest revision.. and if u're 1 or 2 back... well tough.

To continue the discussion you claim we aren't having, how can you call Exposé and Fast User-switching minor UI tweaks? How about encrypting and decrypting your home folder on the fly... a minor UI tweak?

And speculation is merely that. The Tiger release seems to be more tight-lipped than any other release has been for a long time, so to say that "the feature list" is not worth an upgrade is premature at best.

The "cry somewhere else" line was just something to get the fire burning in your belly, which it obviously has. I was a CS student in the rather recent past and had to live off $45 a week, so I know what it's like. But even when I was a poor student, I realized the upgrades were reasonably priced and didn't whine about it. If you really want the software, I'm sure you can find some way to get it. Save up. You probably have until September or something...

Just another clarification:
Windows XP UPGRADE can be found for $90 dollars on Amazon. First we started at 400, then 199. So it could actually be said thta it is cheaper, as they offer an upgrade. The full version is 199. That is for the Home Edition and not the pro, but for most people there is no need for the pro edition. Im not saying that it is better because of that, it certainly isnt.

First of all, I agree that apple does seem to release OS's much faster than Microsoft. That is usually a great thing because we are constantly getting new features, and only need to pay for the upgrade if we need it.

But I have also noticed many software programs that only support panther for some feature or another etc. I think apple needs to do a better job of making sure that they dont leave people in the dust or force them to pay for an upgrade. All new programs should at least support panther, and tiger should be an extra.

In the end we all just need to realize that Apple is a computer company, and as all companies do, they are going to try to make money. If you need to upgrade because some key feature of your OS now wont work then you'll have to upgrade. Thats how it goes in the computer business.

nmm88 said:
Just another clarification:
Windows XP UPGRADE can be found for $90 dollars on Amazon. First we started at 400, then 199. So it could actually be said thta it is cheaper, as they offer an upgrade. The full version is 199. That is for the Home Edition and not the pro, but for most people there is no need for the pro edition. Im not saying that it is better because of that, it certainly isnt.

Okay, but to be fair:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade
Date first available at Amazon: August 24, 2001

What did it cost on August 24, 2001? And why haven't they updated it in the last 3 years?

Back