OS X to 9.2 Networking Headache

scotlovesmacs

Registered
Hi. Attempting to access two older Macs (7500 w/G3 upgrade and 6100 w/G3 upgrade, both running 9.2) from a G4 400 running 10.4. After browsing the network, both above-mentioned machines appear, although after selecting "Connect", an error message displays: "The file server uses an incompatible version of AFP Protocol. You may not connect to it." I tried using AFP Bridge from Version Tracker, installed on both the G4 and 7500, and still no dice. Is there any work-around to get to these older machines from the G4 across the network? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scot.

scotlovesmacs said:
Hi. Attempting to access two older Macs (7500 w/G3 upgrade and 6100 w/G3 upgrade, both running 9.2) from a G4 400 running 10.4. After browsing the network, both above-mentioned machines appear, although after selecting "Connect", an error message displays: "The file server uses an incompatible version of AFP Protocol. You may not connect to it." I tried using AFP Bridge from Version Tracker, installed on both the G4 and 7500, and still no dice. Is there any work-around to get to these older machines from the G4 across the network? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scot.
Your two MacOS 9 computer both run MacOS 9.1, not MacOS 9.2. However, AppleTalk in MacOS 9.1 is fully-compatible with AppleTalk in MacOS X 10.4. That you are having difficulties indicates that you probably don't have AppleTalk enabled on your MacOS X computer, are not properly connecting your MacOS 9 computers, or both.

In MacOS 9.1, use EtherTalk rather than Local Talk.That is, use AppleTalk over Ethernet. No bridge is necessary. Your PowerMac 7500 has a 10Base-T port. Your PowerMac 6100 has an AAUI Ethernet port. For it, you need an AAUI to 10Base-T (RJ-45) tranceiver. This transceiver is just an adapter. Since AAUI was Apple's proprietary version of the AUI Ethernet port, you may need to search shops which carry old Macintosh parts to find one.

In MacOS X 10.4, enable AppleTalk using the AppleTalk tab under the Show: Built-in Ethernet menu item in the Network preferences panel. Also, enable AppleTalk under the Services tab in the Directory Access utility.

Thanks. Checked both, and AppleTalk is enabled in Network Prefs and Directory Access on the G4. The 7500 and 6100 have been functional on a network of 7 machines for several years. AppleTalk via ethernet and Apple File Sharing (never used LocalTalk) has been stable with sharing data and printer and other external HD's between these machines and others, but still cannot connect to them from the G4. Same error: AFP Protocol incompatible... Any other suggestions? Thanks. Scot.

Well Scott, you've got me. I have no trouble communicating between my MacOS 9 and MacOS X computers. Your error message is a mystery. Use the Chooser or Network Browser to log into your MacOS X computer from your MacOS 9 computers. If this works, then you can move your files from this end.

Hi MisterMe! I tried the backward route you suggested of going from the 9 machines to the G4 via the Chooser. Still the G4 doesn't show in the AppleShare file server menu. Interestingly however, my daughter's iMac G3 running 10.2 does appear in the Chooser window as a selectable option. Why not the G4 running 10.4??? Is there a barrier built in to this OS (10.4) that won't let me access the 9 machines? Thanks for your help and reply. Scot.

Do you have the Mac OS X firewall enabled? If so, check to make sure that AppleTalk sharing is being allowed through. It should be called something like Personal File Sharing or something like that.

The other thing to consider is that AppleTalk on the OS X machine is actually done over TCP/IP. I believe that 9.2 has the option to use AppleTalk over TCP/IP and once enabled that should get them talking to one another. I think the earliest Mac OS to support AppleTalk over TCP/IP was Mac OS 9.0 but I could be mistaken. I'm sure that 8.x and below don't support it.

Hi. I checked and the Firewall is on and Personal File Sharing is checked to "Allow". The OS9 (7500) machine's still absent in the Network Browse window of "Connect to server..." So I typed the afp address into that window and the 9 machine showed up and is accessible, mounts, etc. Likewise the G4 doesn't show in the AppleShare Chooser window as available, but if I enter the G4 at "Server IP Address..." in the Chooser window, it appears and is mountable on the 7500. So... I guess this is a workaround but I'd sure like each to show as a named server/volume in the network selection window(s) as I've become accustomed to over the years. Typing in 10 digit IP/afp addresses every time to access other machine's files is going to be a hassle. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated. PS. TCP/IP, Personal File Sharing, AppleTalk, etc. are on/enabled on all machines across the network.

nixgeek said:
.... I'm sure that 8.x and below don't support it.
AppleShare over IP has been around for a very long time. It was certainly supported under MacOS 8 and maybe System 7.x. To the issue at hand, I am happy that scotlovesmacs has solved his problem.

MisterMe said:
AppleShare over IP has been around for a very long time. It was certainly supported under MacOS 8 and maybe System 7.x.

Are you sure?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461#sec4

Besides, I haven't been able to connect to my OS X iMac using my Quadra running System 7.6.1 and vice-versa (plus, it doesn't give me the option to use TCP/IP in the Chooser). Same when the Quadra was running OS 8.1. However, the StarMax I had with 9.1 did give me the option to use an IP address.

nixgeek said:
Are you sure?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461#sec4

Besides, I haven't been able to connect to my OS X iMac using my Quadra running System 7.6.1 and vice-versa (plus, it doesn't give me the option to use TCP/IP in the Chooser). Same when the Quadra was running OS 8.1. However, the StarMax I had with 9.1 did give me the option to use an IP address.
I said maybe System 7.x. You link indicates that AppleShare over IP was not implemented until MacOS 8. Your link also clarifies the issue with MacOS X 10. MacOS X 10.0 and 10.4 can communicate with AppleShare only over TCP/IP. It would appear that MacOS X 10.1 through 10.3 can use standard AppleTalk.

Back