Os X to Pc Web Cam Videoconferencing Using Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000

sasho

Registered
Hi,

I have a Mac OS X and my friend has a PC and we both have the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. I was wondering what is the easiest and most cost effective way for both of us to be able to do synchronized video and audio communication at a resolution as close to 640x480 as possible. I have done many Internet searches with no success. I would really appreciate your help.

Alex

The most effective video/audio chat combination between PC and Mac is AOL Instant Messenger 5.5 and ichatav. However, 640x480 is a very high resolution transfering a lot of data. You should have a very fast connection to eachother (>10mbit/s).
Another aspect: 640x480 at nearly 20 fsp requires USB 2.0 or firewire. The QuickCam Pro 4000 is a USB webcam, right? Does your Mac support USB 2.0? Older Macs (beginning of 2003) only support USB 1.1. I also suppose that Logitech does not provide any Mac drivers. In that case take a closer look at third-party drivers for macosx.
Good luck!

Zammy-Sam said:
..... I also suppose that Logitech does not provide any Mac drivers. In that case take a closer look at third-party drivers for macosx.

In my own experience Logitech does provide Mac drivers for 4 of its webcam, including PRO 4000 and Zoom I used to own. But I'd stand clear of their drivers and use iChatUSB that can be found here http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/index.html which has been working fine for me.

Sasho use the search feature of this forum with "webcam" you'll find further infos and experienced shared on this topic

Regards

Back