os x used to work switched to os 9 now nothing works

cyclefiend2000

Registered
i just bought a refurbished g3 ibook (dual usb). i am having sound problems, and someone on another board suggested i try to boot into os 9 to see if the sound worked there.

preface: os x 10.2.8 has been working (just no sound).

i switch the boot to os 9 (9.2.2 i believe).

now when i power up, i briefly get a mac icon and then it goes to a floppy disk icon with a flashing "?" in the middle of it. this stays on screen for a bit and then the laptop turns off.

how can i get back to the os x boot? i am used to windows so i tried hitting the function keys while powering up, but they dont do anything. i dont have any of the software cd's for what is installed on the machine.

thanks for any help.

i have tried both of those things.

holding down option only shows one drive. i assume both the os 9 and os x and installed on the same (and only) partition.

holding down x doesnt do anything. i read in another thread that this only works with computers newer than the one i have.

i have a g3 ibook (dual usb).

i have read through many different tutorials and how-to's in the past day or so, and nothing i have tried has worked.

any suggestions are welcome.

do you have your install cd's? or an OS install CD/DVD? if so, boot from them holding down c. then you can set the startup disk.

no i dont. any ideas on where i could get a startup disk with mac os x 10.2.8?

edit: i bought the laptop refurbished and it didnt come with any software disks.

edit2: i have found a place that is selling mac os x 10.3 for $47.99....
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6914909A/
but it is on dvd.

i have access to an external firewire/usb dvd drive. can the os be installed on a non-booting computer with an external dvd connected? if so, how?

nevermind. took it to a mac repair shop last night. if they cant fix it for cheap, i am selling the remnants of it and getting a damn dell or something.

Back