++os10.3--brother Laserprinter Problem++

bjkrivanek

Registered
Initial Question:
Since installing OSX 10.3, I cannot print out text from Illustrator 10 via my laser printer, a Brother HL-5170DN. I can print text with other applications---MS Word, Quickbooks---but with Illustrator 10, I get pages of gibberish code at the top of endless printed pages. If I convert text to outlines---no problem---but that's no real solution, as I cannot edit it later. Any suggestions?

Followup:
A respondent linked me to the Brother website. I'm not sure which---in a long series of downloads and patches listed---I need. The cups3 files enable the printer to print, but the type is NOT postscript, so it's not acceptable. I can't get the br3 files to print out---so the problem above remains. What specific downloads do I need?

bjkrivanek said:

Followup:
A respondent linked me to the Brother website. I'm not sure which---in a long series of downloads and patches listed---I need. The cups3 files enable the printer to print, but the type is NOT postscript, so it's not acceptable. I can't get the br3 files to print out---so the problem above remains. What specific downloads do I need?
You are not at all clear about the nature of your problem. What do you mean by "the type is NOT postscript,"? CUPS emulates PostScript. It uses GhostScript to convert PostScript into the native language of your printer. Therefore, your application should see your printer as a PostScript printer even though it is not. You may download a MacOS X 10.4 version of your printer's CUPS driver here. Then follow the instructions listed on the page.

Utilizing the CUPS3 driver you recommend---which I already tried---renders type that appears to be a relatively crude bitmap (I expect Postscript text to display smooth curvatures, which this printer delivered before the upgrade to OS10.3). If it's an emulation, it's not at all effective. The tech guy at Brother did not consider that driver to be a useful option. Using the appropriate driver---Br3---results in the original problem I mentioned. I'm still getting nowhere---HELP!!

Back