OS9 to OSX,G4 to G5.cant read audio files-HELP

MONOMAN

Registered
HI/HELP

I have just got a G5 2.0 OSX 10.4.7, and had been running a G4 1.2 OS9 logic 6.4 with an external Lacie to store all my audio.

Im not sure exactly when it happened(i think the same time as i started using the G5 but b4 i had taken any songs across) but now 85% of all my audio files read "unix executable", come up as "empty" when i load ,have a dark grey icon and most of them are showing "zero KB"

I have tried "file type" program which was successful in changing the file type (back to SD2)but there still seems to be nothing there .

Is this as bad as i think???

I am desperate...a years work.!!!!

Will wash the car of anyone who can help (25 mile London radius)

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:31 pm

I presume that your audio files do not have the proper extension for the Finder to associate them with your audio application. This is a fairly easy to fix.

When I changed from OS9 to OSX a similar thing happened with a lot of image files I had. Because OS9 (and earlier) didn't require file extensions the way Windows computers did, I'd basically got in the habit of not bothering to add them unless I was transferring files to a Windows user. OSX does require them however (allowing for greater compatability between Mac and Windows machines), and will no longer recognise a file that doesn't have a file extension.
All you usually have to do is highlight your file in 'Get Info' and add the correct file extension for the file type. This should then 'reducate' your Mac as to what kind of file it is, and you should then be able to open it with your usual app.

thanks for replying,appreciate it

i should add a bit more info;

I still have about 5-10% of the files which load normally. i have converted these into the G5/ OSX (core audio) successfully,

Even when i go back into the G4 using OS9 it is not reading these missing files which say "empty". in the info they either have zero,32,64 or 96kb which i guess is pretty negligible.

i have converted the "unix" files using one of the untouched files as a blueprint but it still comes up with this low kb and says"cant be read" or "end of file was reached prematurely"

i did try putting .aif or .sd2 at the end but didnt do anything. Is that the right way to do it?

Would be so grateful for any ideas!!

Try to select one of your files and 'Get Info' on it. If it registers an incorrect originating program for opening your file (should be labeled with the 'Logic' app icon) change it to Logic and 'Change All' so your G5 knows what to do with those files.

Hopefully you've got all files backed up somewhere else first before you start trying things out like this...

Back