OSX 10.1 review by: vic

Does anyone else have this problem:

OK, question...is there an option to turn off the ANNOYING BOUNCING thing that happens when an app wants your attention? Its really getting on my nervs, as soon as I get into something...BOUNCE....

Also, geezz did I downgrade with 10.1 (build 5G64)?
My firewire-cdrw is no longer recognized in 10.1, IT SUCKS! :mad: It worked fine in 10.0.4!!!!!!! :confused:

HELP

Yes, you can turn off bouncing... I think it's buried somewhere in the system prefs or it's in the Finder's preferences. It's been a while since I fired up 10.0.4-- can anyone give something more specific? I assume it hasn't changed from 10.0 to 10.1.

Anyway, that's the FIRST thing I did when I originally installed X. Both the bouncing apps and that genie thing are stoooopid. :D

As far as your drive... I can't say. Get a real CD update for 10.1 and try-- and if it still doesn't work, call up Apple and bitch. ;)

----- EDIT -----

Sorry, I didn't do a good job of reading your post. You're talking about when it needs attention (I was thinking the bouncing on startup)? Does it still bounce even if you tell the Dock -not- to animate (and replace bounce on startup with a little black arrow)???

NO, Im not talking about the app bouncing in the dock upon opening, I know all aobut that (i too disabled that in the original 10.0).

This is entirely new! There is a new bounce that when an app requires your attention the app bounces far OFF the dock, even if you have the dock hidden the app still bounces very high (about double its standard bounce), I guess so that its noticed. My question is wheither or not there is an Option for this perticular bounce!?

Open mail, my mail app goes nuts when I open it, as soon as there is a new message and I am in another program, working or reading, just doing my thing, not wanting to be distrbed, BOUNCE, and it wont stop bounceing until you give that app some attention. Its really sucks, I have just quit using the Mail app, I normally have it running all the time, but now I just can't stand it.
It already dispays in the dock, and many apps have sounds for an error. For instance, I was using fetch and an error occured, BOUNCE...hey that was cool for a second, now its just plain pissing me off!

Help me gain my insanity.

my mailk app doesn't bounce! only icq. an i kinda like it! an app would not bounce unless there's error mesage it wants you to know about (exept fot icq) an dthen in mail, i doubt it does that on a regular basis, i never had it bounce. but then as i said in a nothe rforum, i do not think this may be the last build you or i have. what if you have a buggier build thanr i do? i hae 64 and i have about 4 bugs to takce care of. i guess well see what the difference is when i get my hands on on a store copy!

I really hope this is not the GM, I too have 5G64, and I am not really thrilled by it..I seem to have more negaitves than positives on this one.
My new cdrw doesn't work with this build, the app error-bounce drives me nuts! (Im glad to here that your mail app doesn't do that to you). I think that If I have a new message and I am in another program, then the app starts bouncing as well, so it lets me know that I have another message, or if there is an error, its just really annoying and I want it turned off sooo bad!

Has anyone noticed a decrese in size of the menu bar? The menu bar seems a little cramed in with less shading underneth it, if so I guess its a good thing, Im just not used to it.

And are the rounded edges new in this build, or am I just noticing it for the first time?

Originally posted by vikingstad
Really? I just love the menulings, they take so little space and are really nice to look at. Wasting dock space for that is just stupid!

Stupid in your opinion. The Signal Strength dock extra provides clearer "at a glance" feedback for me, its in colour and its bigger than the menubar version. I don't see it as "wasting" dock space at all, after all the dock shrinks or grows automatically as yopu add or remove items. If you prefer the menuthings, great, but please don't call me stupid.

What irritates me is that Apple removes user choice. There was no need to delete the dock extras. They could let us choose between the menuthings or the dockthings. Is it my imagination, or does Apple seems to be on a "you veel do eet ar vey" kind of facist groove thang right now? ;)

Originally posted by free&unmuzzled

Stupid in your opinion. The Signal Strength dock extra provides clearer "at a glance" feedback for me, its in colour and its bigger than the menubar version. I don't see it as "wasting" dock space at all, after all the dock shrinks or grows automatically as yopu add or remove items. If you prefer the menuthings, great, but please don't call me stupid.

Let me first say that I never said YOU were stupid :cool: , I said wasting dock space for something as elementary as a battery indicator was stupid. (in my opinion)

I like the menulings because they are small and do exactly what they need to. (the iBook only has 1024 pixels so the smaller the better).

Also I understand Apple if they remove the docklings, because it's kind of double work. Every time they have to add functionality to a menuling they would have to do it to the dockling also, if not people will just start bitching :p

But as long as the old docklings work for you, I don't see the problem. There will probably be several new shareware docklings also in the time to come.

Originally posted by vikingstad
Let me first say that I never said YOU were stupid :cool: , I said wasting dock space for something as elementary as a battery indicator was stupid. (in my opinion)

Well you said that "wasting dock space" was stupid, so by extension if I "waste" my dock space I am stupid too :p

Anyway I see no real reason why Apple couldn't have left the dock extras in their folder for those of us who prefer them. They could have removed them from the dock itself as a heavy hint.

The fact that they deleted them may imply that they are going to "deprecate" the dockling API entirely, as a programmer on another forum implied. That means no more docklings ever, and, possibly, that current docklings would stop functioning.

Personally I don't entirely like either the docklings or the menulings. After all, I only need to see battery level or signal strength at discrete moments. In OS 9 the control strip versions of these served this function perfectly. Click! See the battery level. Click! Hide it again.

How could this be done in X? Easy. Do it like the volume and brightness overlays. Assign function keys to signal strength and battery level. Click! See battery level overlay. Fade. Bye bye battery level overlay. Beautiful.

Originally posted by vic
thank you!! i thought i was the only one withoug wget! i thought i fucked up my computer or something!

use curl -O http://--site--

wget is also availble in fink package manager.

but you will need dev tools to compile at this moment use curl

Back