OSX 10.3x leaving „duplicate“ files on servers

Sy-Br34k3r

Registered
I have also found that I am creating “duplicates” of many of my files that are small in size begin with “._.” on the Windows 2003 Server. I always get duplicate files when I transfer to my Windows 2003 server via SMB. Best thanks for the assistance

Sy-Br34k3r

On non-HFS+ file systems, Mac specific data, such as resource fork, etc, will not be preserved as part of the original file. Instead, the file system breaks this data off into a shadow file "._filename" and should associate it back to the original file for usage. You do *not* want to delete these shadow files as that will cause many issues all the way up to data corruption.

What does your overall environment look like? Servers, clients, type of applications/work being done?

Thank you for your answer!

We use Mac OS 10.3 and Windows 2003 Servers. The other clients are Windows XP Professional. If I opened a JPEF or PDF file on Mac (the files are on the windows 2003 server) then it gave a duplicate. Sorry for my bad English, and thank you for your help.

Sy-Br34k3r

Sy-Br34k3r said:
Has anybody an idea?

Idea about what? I thought I pretty much answered the question! :)

Sure, if your connected with a Mac, just like copying data with a Mac, to the non HFS/HFS+ file system, it will leave the duplicate ._ shadow file. The Mac OS uses it and the Windows OS doesn't have the ability to keep the shadow file data with the original file that you worked on, so you see it separated.

On the windows 2003 server, there are about 2 GB these shadow-files, and the files are backup and it needs much place on the tabs. What happen, if I delete these files?

that when you open again the file to which the shadow file was related, a new one would be created... this is what happens here...

Don't delete those files! You can corrupt your data by doing that!

The files are really part of the original 'real' files on your server. If you weren't using Windows Server, you wouldn't see it as two different files, but just as one, which should weigh in at about the same space usage.

Like I said, you *can* corrupt your data doing that. I've seen it happen numerous times where files just stop working for folks, depending on OS, etc.

Its all up to you. If your willing to risk it and it works, go for it, but as we've seen a lot lately, what works today may not work tomorrow! :)

Back