OSX 10.4.5 connecting to Windows servers?...problems all over the place

craigerb

Registered
My G4 OSX 10.2.8 can connect and authenticate to our Win2003 server's shared drive with no issues at all. It sees the drive, it recognizes the file formats, whether they be quark, indesign etc. and generally behaves itself quite nicely.

However, the new G5 OSX 10.4.5 has numerous issues.
1)In Finder I can see our Win2003 server and the shared folder. When I try to connect it asks me to authenticate with my user name and password, after entering the credentials, it comes back with the message "The alias "servername" could not be opened because the original alias cannot be found" No matter what I try I cannot get past this nonsensical message and I cannot connect.

2)When i go to the "Connect to server" menu I enter the syntax smb://192.168.100.10/sharename, I get the message "Incorrect username or password" even though the credentials are 100% correct

3)I set up a simple share on a Windows XPPro desktop, or a Win2000 server. I can connect/authenticate to this share successfully but the G5 doesnt understand the file types that I have placed there. For example, Quark, Indesign etc. files are seen as "Unix Executable Files". If I rename the files and tag the Windows extensions on the them(*.qxd or *.indd etc.) the G5 know sees them properly.

Ok, After spending alot of dough on a brand new Mac G5 OS 10.4.5, I must say I am disapointed...I want to be a Mac guy, I want to like Mac, I want to tell people I like Mac, I want to believe they have a product other than an Ipod that is any good.....but whether it be ridiculous font issues or simply connecting to a Windows server, Im constantly let down...

craigerb said:

3)I set up a simple share on a Windows XPPro desktop, or a Win2000 server. I can connect/authenticate to this share successfully but the G5 doesnt understand the file types that I have placed there. For example, Quark, Indesign etc. files are seen as "Unix Executable Files". If I rename the files and tag the Windows extensions on the them(*.qxd or *.indd etc.) the G5 know sees them properly.

You are supposed to use file extensions with MacOS X.

Back