OSX 10.4 Tiger Install on G5 iMac Power PC

IHALL1977

Registered
I had some great help last night regarding the need to get a "Black" retail disk in order to install Tiger onto my iMac, I have searched on ebay and have found some grey disks which read - "For Mac Computers" on the left hand side. In small print at the bottom they have 'Mac OS version 10.4.10, AHT version 3a133, disc version 1.0, 2z691-6089-A' The guy selling them said he had them from when he brought his MacBook !!! - Which is the worrying bit - Will they install on a White Chunky G5 Power PC iMac? Thanks in advance

No, you HAVE to have the black disks. Just the way it is, the grey ones are locked to the particular model they ship with and are useless for other kinds of machine.

You could also try and hunt down the gray discs that would normally ship with your particular Mac. However, the legality of selling those gray discs is of concern since they not only include OS X, but other software that would not be included in a stock installation of the retail OS X copy. Still, if you're the owner of the Mac and need the original gray discs that shipped with it, you should be OK in purchasing them.

Back