OSX Annoyances.

a32guy

Registered
When you download a file to a folder, or save a file to a folder on your desktop AND also have your desktop arranged by modified date... the folder will jump to the corner when trying to double click it.

Basicly OSX doesn't arrange the icons or the folder modified date is not updated until clicked upon. Makes very annoying when trying to open the folder and it jumps out from under you.

Why not just arrange it by type (which is what I do) or by some other method? That way it won't jump on you. I understand what you mean, but the way you make it sound seems like cutting your nose to spite your face. You can hardly poopoo Mac OS X just for that. Despite its annoyances, I believe that it's much better than things in the Windows world....but that's my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I switched from windows to OSX a few months ago and have never looked back. I love OSX. I just wish there was an easy fix to this.

I have always used sort by modified date. Is easier to find things that are saved to the desktop or downloaded, especially when you have half of a screen of icons.

I agree. This is one of many reasons I (and many others, mostly who came from OS 9) hate the OS X Finder. It seems like Apple never bothers to fix bugs in it; they just tack on more features (with more bugs). It's such a mess.

I'm not aware of any way to fix this. Of course, there are always Finder alternatives like PathFinder, but they all have their own share of problems, too (mainly stemming from the inability of third-party developers to integrate with the OS the same way Apple can).

They _do_ bother to fix the bugs. It's only that it seems to take them 10 years to fix all of the Finder's bugs introduced in Mac OS X originally. I guess when the Finder's finally fixed, Apple will move on from OS X - and will introduce us to yet another incarnation of the Finder on some hyperdrive-enabled OS eXtreme or something. It'll have _new_ bugs and shortcomings, and people will want to stay on OS X then. :p

Back