OSX Blue Screen

acidtuch10

Registered
Hey I need help, OSX died yesterday (the first time for me - ibook -640 megs 40 gigs drive OSX 10.2.1) ~~~ Using it as usual I pulled up Omniweb, it crashed and gave me that little yellow triangle. So I forced quite and rebooted..... To find upon boot it got to the Mac OSX screen and then stopped - cursor turned into the little spinning ball. So I figured I would step out and grab a smoke..... about a half hour later still at that screen :-( not good .... Booted off the CD and repaired permissions on the volume and rebooted to the same thing.... Ok I lost every thing !!!.

So my question is When something like this happens how do I force boot in OS9 ? ( would've liked to boot into it and save my files)

Next what would cause this to happen ?

Thanks

Reboot into single user mode. Immediately upon restart hold down command+s. After the boot reaches a prompt type "fsck -y". This will fixed most error with your system.

you might want to try fsck -y :D

if you get a message that the system was modified, do it again until you do not get that message.

I don't know if it is overkill, but sometimes everything does not seem to be fixed on the first fsck

Need help too, iBook 500, 9GB HD, 380MB Ram
Installed Jag afew weeks ago and everything was running great, then last night I got Kernel Panic. I ended up doing a fresh instal and then nothing... Booted up via CD, repaired permission etc. and still nothing. All I seem to get now is a grey screen with the Apple logo. I am not able to boot to the HD and if I try to boot to the CD I occassionaly get the Kernel Panic screen. Sometimes when I try to boot to the HD I get a strange symbol that looks like a No Entry sign.

I'm thinking it might be the HD (I have backed up my data so thats not a problem) and it might be time to upgrade to a larger drive. If anyone has any other ideas i would be truly greatful. :(

On a lighter note, my PowerBook Duo 250 (upgraded to PPC 2300) is still up and running (OS 8) and crunching numbers :D

Back