OSX doesn't boot

Valeriu

Registered
Changing the startup disk to OSX , got the message like ...if NetBoot Server not installed could be a lengthy start... Upon restart in OSX (10.5), a spinning globe goes on and on. I have managed to go back to 9.2.2, by restarting with option key. Tried several times again, with the same results. Any ideas?
Thank you in advance,
Valeriu :(

How long are you leaving it? A guy at work phoned me to say his iBook was dead and just doing the spinny disc thing for ages, but after he left it for longer it turned out it was just checking the hard drive which was full of clutter. When you change startup disc, it can think that the computer wasn't shut down right so goes about repairing any damage which may have been done. On a full or nearly full disk, this can take an eternity. You don't say what machine you have but, especially if it's a slow one, sit it out for a while and see. Could try Disc First Aid from 9 too.

Thank you for your reply. You are right so far, I haven't let the computer on for more than 2 minutes. I'll try again, leaving it longer. It is not the slowest mac yet (Quicksilver dual1G, but hey... it will get there soon).
If I want to optimize the HD should I do it booting in 9x with TechtoolPro or NortonSpeed disk?
Thanks again,
Valeriu

Factor41,
Following your advice, I let the computer doing it's business with the flashing globe. After ~20mins another flashing set of icons appeared on the screen, a Mac face in a folder and a question mark. Almost like in the good old days of the sad face. Few minutes later it started to boot in OS9x... I repeated the procedure again and the same pattern happened. I don't know what to do. Probably I will back up all the relevant data on an external firewire drive and painfully proceed with a complete rebuild of the system using the restore disks. Do I have other options?
Thanks again.

Problem solved!
I installed another HD, where I put the System Folder from 9.2.2 and Norton. Run the thing and fixed the major problems and a severe fragmentation. Restarted from the OsX partititon and everything works like a charm.

I have tried as suggested in other posts, to remove a recently installed RAM chip, but that didn't seem to be the problem.

Back