OSX Firmware update/revert?

theeditguy

Registered
I am attempting to restore my iMac DV to its pre-OSX state. I was able to zero out all data on my drive with the hopes of a clean OS9 install. It seems that there is a Firmware boot function hat is preventing me from booting from any non OSX aware discs or drives.

oh.. and the iMac is not mine, its at the office....oops.

Any insight?

Michael

I had a similar problem.

I tried to solve it by reinstalling from an external SCSI drive - which I know you can't do with the iMac - however presumably an external USB will work???

Anyway, like you I zeroed the data on the internal drive and then I put back the copy of internal drive software that I always keep on the external SCSI disk.

And ....it wouldn't boot. It booted fine from the external disk but not the internal one.

So, I too assumed a firmware problem. Then I thought to trash all Mac OSX preferences - and, phew, it worked! I have reinstalled OSX and that works fine too.

So, I think whatever your problem is, firmware almost certainly isn't it.

I have a beige G3 / 466

Best of luck.

Originally posted by Myke
I had a similar problem.

So, I too assumed a firmware problem. Then I thought to trash all Mac OSX preferences - and, phew, it worked! I have reinstalled OSX and that works fine too.

Could you explain what you mean by trashing the OS X preferences?

It's such a long time since I posted this, I have forgotten now what I meant.

In the meantime I have delated the beta from my hard disc (as far as it will allow anyway) However, going into my Preferences folder (in 9.04) I see there is still

Mac OS X Install CD DDB

and

Mac OS X Install CD DDF

in there. I am pretty certain there used to be an OSX preferences icon as well.

Sorry. I realise this probably isn't a lot of use to you. Notification of your response only arrived today, so maybe you have fixed it by now???

Back