OSX Native Indeo Video AVI Codec or player?

JeffCGD

Registered
For those that can remember, back in the OS9.x days there was an extension for Quicktime that allowed Mac users to view AVI's that were encoded with IBM's Indeo Video Codec (IV50). Usually these files were created by Windows users.
With the onset of OSX, the only way to play these files on an OSX system was to have Classic/OS9 installed on your machine, along with the Indeo Video Quicktime extension, and play the vids with the Classic version of Quicktime.

So what if you no longer have Classic installed? My question precisely.

Does anyone know of a way to view this type of encoded video file on an OSX only system? Neither MPlayer or VLC seems to be able to access these files, and Quicktime certainly can't. Has anyone heard of an OSX port of the OS9 Indeo Video quicktime extension? Or has this codec fallen into disuse and is discontinued (shame SOME people are still using it).

Any hacks/suggestions gratefully received.

um. from memory this is actually an Intel codec.

but i think there are very limited choices for this on mac.

not many things would be creating indeo content any more, it was mostly little crappy cameras from what i understand..

Quite right, now that you mention it it was an Intel codec. Thankfully we don't come on it that often, except via file-sharing networks.

Don't think there is anyway to play them on OSX sadly. I am suprised that VNC can't play it. I just assume that codec is now deemed as junk.

Unfortunately that codec still crops up in AVI contained movies made on some PCs. I worked around it by making a disc image of a minimal install of OS9 with Quicktime Pro and the Classic IV50 Quicktime codec. Whenever I find one I want, I launch classic from the 80Mb disc image and transcode it to something I can view easily on OSX.

Back