OSX on my G3 400

wiziwig

Registered
i just got jaguar and i'm very happy with it but when i have a lot of apps open and some times with out any open, the dock animations and some of the genie animations seem jurky and not smooth. i have a 400 mhz processor, 704 mb ram and a 16 mb vram video card. would i get a smoother look if i upgraded my video card? if so should i got straight to a 64 mb vram or will 32 mb vram do just fine?

If you have an agp slot, get a video card with at least 32 MB of ram, and you can take advantage of Quartz Extreme... that will help a lot..

Originally posted by wiziwig
yeah it's a blue & white with a rev 2 logic board.

Unfortunately, no B&W G3's have AGP... I'm typing this on a Rev 2 also. We have the 66mhz PCI (used for the video card) but no AGP. :(

Originally posted by wiziwig
i just got jaguar and i'm very happy with it but when i have a lot of apps open and some times with out any open, the dock animations and some of the genie animations seem jurky and not smooth. i have a 400 mhz processor, 704 mb ram and a 16 mb vram video card. would i get a smoother look if i upgraded my video card? if so should i got straight to a 64 mb vram or will 32 mb vram do just fine?
Two recommendations - PCI Radeon (cheap on eBay), and a 7200rpm hard drive. Upgrading the hard drive on my G3-266 was like doubling the CPU speed, there was THAT much of a difference in speed. If your strapped for cash, go for the hard drive first.

I was looking into the viability of upgrading my current system further but for the cost was far outweighing the gain. I will be money ahead if I put this one out to pasture... or maybe sell it for a nominal gain.

In looking to see what needed to be upgraded I started at the video card... although with 10.2 it will never be able to run QE since it is only PCI

Being a 400 G3 I can't go too much higher in clock speed. I already have this one overclocked. G4 upgrades are a possibility but far too overpriced for upgrading my current system.

RAM is always good... but I have ample for now.

7200 RPM HD's.. already have them. Although I would definately recommend if you are running 5400's

In reality the entire computer needs upgrading to make any single modification worth it.

g4 upgrade = 400 Sonnet 500 mhz G4
video card = 100 Previously Mentioned Radion
Hard drive = 100
RAM = 50
=============
Total = 650

$650 is far to expensive for me to spend on a computer that will only be updated to what was standard 2 years ago. You would definately be better off buying a used G4 off ebay for the same price. (You have two complete computers that way) With a much more advanced motherboard which would support all features of the G4 and vastly outperform the upgrades. You could also then get an AGP card that was supported in QE

IF you still want to get a new video card I would recommend getting the 32 Meg. You'll only see very marginal gains going to a 64 Meg card. Unless you were going to have a use for this card in the future.... maybe a different computer or if you're wanting an awesome card for a 2nd display. But even then I'd stick with he 32. The rest of the computer will need to be upgraded as well to see any gains.

i thought i was an AGP, oh well. thanks to everyone who took their time to answer my question. what does the AGP slot look like? It's not as long as the pci ones right?

Back