OSX Quake III Plasma gun crash

dskl

Registered
Hi All,

This darn bug has been around for years now and I still haven't heard of any solutions. Some people have it, others don't.

What happens is, when I get hit in the head with the plasma gun, quake 3 crashes. Happens even if I am spectating.

There is also an issue with the keyboard keys occasionally sticking. I thought it had something to do with the stock keyboard, so I bought a different keyboard, no joy.

I am using the 1.32B version known as Altivec-test.
I've tried the binary version that was recently released but it crashes at startup. There is a "non-Altivec" version out there also, but I haven't been able to find a DL site for it. The link off the Apple site for it doesn't work.

Running on a Desktop G5 single processor at 1.8 Ghz, 1 Gig of RAM and the Radeon 9800 XT graphics card. OS is Tiger.

If anyone has any suggestions, anything at all , PLEASE REPLY.

Thanks,
Dave

Might there be some firmware updates you need for the G5 system?

Also, have you checked for patches that might be available for the Mac version of Q3? Is the one you downloaded the latest and greatest?

Hi Nexgeek,

Thanks for responding. I do remember installing a firmware update a few months ago. I should check again since I just upgraded to tiger yesterday.

I Believe the latest release is the universal binary version intended for Intel based macs, it crashes at startup. I'll double check to be sure I have the latest non-Intel version.

Thanks,
Dave

The universal binary version of Quake 3 is not an official release by the developers. It was created by someone else based off the released Quake 3 source code. Since it's not an official version, it lacks punk buster support.

The Plasma crashing is related to the altivec version of Quake 3. Whatever installer you have that installed Quake1.32b should have installed two quake 3 apps: Quake3 G4 and Quake3. Quake3 G4 is the altivec version. If you still have the original installer, you can use that to re-install the non altivec version if you had dumped it previously. If you don't have it, I'll look into uploading it somewhere temporarily where you can download it.

Back