OSX Server - Mail / Calender Compatability

sredish

Registered
Can I use Entourage for my total address book / calendar / email app to sync with all office clients (3 other macs) or will be it more seamless to use iCal, iMail and Address Book on the macs?

I've been trying to decide what server to use, Windows Server '03 or OSX Server. Having all other macs, I've decided to use a Mac.... I think, as long as the mail, calender and address book function properly. How would a PC work in this environment should one be added for some reason or other, what about calendar syncing? I realize mail is mostly Imap and POP which is easy to setup, but mostly concerned with calendar and contact functionality.

Scott

If you are just looking to set up this solution and want collaboration like Exchange would provide, you can look at third party products, such as Zimbra or begin anticipating the new services in Leopard that will support similar functionality, with the added CalDAV support. Of course, you could spin your own right now as well. :)

Michael

thanks for pointing me to the Zimbra corner. That might work out really well. One question, and this should probably be pointed at them but seeing as their closed...... Zimbra, this can support my apple clients as well as my few PC clients? We can all climb on board with Zimbra and function between them seamlessly? Looks as this is the case and would be ideal.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, Zimbra can be used seamlessly between platforms. For your Windows clients, using Outlook, they'll even have the ability to connect over MAPI, just like they would to Exchange.

It is really a great solution that scales well.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm happy to help! :)

Michael

with Zimbra, can I continue to use Entourage with my Mac and Outlook on the PC's or do I need to change everything over to 'their' software?

I'm have a customer who uses Novell Mail but he want to switch to Mac OS X Server with a Xserve, can you help me about this migration from Novell to Mac OS X Server pls

Back