Osx Tiger And Yahoo

Sue Raw

Registered
I recently bought an emac running tiger and upgraded to broadband using tesco as my isp and a speedtouch 330 modem. i've had a yahoo mail address for years without any problem. when i log on using my broadband connection (and safari as my browser) i can see my photos and my briefcase no problem, however when i try to check e-mail all i see is a whole of the following sample - i should point out that my daughter has a yahoo account and she logs in without difficulty so i am at a loss as to where to start. replies so far from yahoo have been automated responses which are no help whatsoever so i'm stuck with only being able to check in from work!! here's some of what i see when i try to check/send mail - hope you can help:

v17k8togitcm5jic7rvknpurumutcpdam51yy7uviq
wjcctk3s9esbn1hptsnpnbmijdkj1pzk43mltw.kvnn
aprt1sxspx2izvtjdjxklhskwrc6t1lh30kb.ops0ab
qakgp96usor7hxyyoh5apfken5sm0pfluyzauvxwe
5ff1wxh90zmbgj4mv_bpqgx6w66nf337gu9k5b3a
ww523nxqmhjzpc7fdt6yjdesesn1nqrbbtfxmjmb5
8edup5byfpzejzqbc.sugym5gcqzqq0cipnqzuvlky
w--&v=1; path=/; domain=mail.yahoo.com
"age: 64"
"connection: close"
"via: http/1.1 ntl-site (traffic-server/5.2.4-59306 "
[c ssf ])

?ì]ywÛh?ÿÛ~o¾ÃÞø?Ø?¨Ëò!ylÇ9vã$9?Îööúq%
1¦h5iÙÑdòÝ÷ty¤Ë?;ÓóÞº;¶dÖ?b(?
b=Úݽu:?ú¾uÚÝm­¯­¯ÀÏ4º~4?g^ »??±
{nËøh?à?qa»?±kdç*´oÿ6¥§?
np?\eÉõ£¨ºãØ?§c§iÆÎç¸øɾ±Ås-Æú?Ûߢ
aß??q¡Ú#'úÕ¼¡üóÍß?gmÃ?ø=§ïúnÏÜ6n]¿Ü?±ão?Ã8?t¼ ?;?y?
æÌíÃõbÑ deÇ­õõ#?p?×?.Î/o???owÏÿþþåÏÍwn?t¢
¡qöæõåùë˦y:4Þ¿{Õ,nge/¸þ±|??

sue raw

Hi,
I do not have a MAC but had a similar problem. I did a Google search on just this part of the error message ' e (Traffic-Server/5.2.4-59306 [c sSf ]) '

without the quote marks.
It should bring up two sites. It's the other one you want. As opposed to this one.
It is a problem with NTL, and the server it is using to connect you to the net.

The solution I found worked for me after a month of frustration. I contacted Hotmail but they were no help. Although the solution states Yahoo mail/ntl customers, I am Hotmail/ntl and it worked great.
Hope it works for you.

Symbols / Junk appears instead of Mail
Welcome NTL user!

This is an NTL problem, NTL have been informed by their users, but users have yet to receive a reply or acknowledgement of the problem. We found the fix, and below you can see how!

The Solution
As with the Yahoo! Profiles, this lies in the proxy servers, which have a bad copy of what they think is Yahoo! Mail, when you make your request, the proxy server intercepts this, and tries to forward the page to you from its cache or the web, but it's getting it wrong.

The fix is simple:

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel.
Click on "Internet Settings".
On the Programs tab, click "Lan Settings...".
If ticked, untick the box "Automatically Detect Settings".
Tick, "Use Proxy Server".
Enter "80.1.224.4" as the address. Enter "8080" as the port.
Click "OK".
If it fails: Then that proxy server is bad. Here is a big list. Do the instructions as above, replacing the address with one off the list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You to all the NTL users who tried this fix, especially to "englishrosie" who sent in the original alternative proxy settings.

Sue Raw said:
I recently bought an emac running tiger and upgraded to broadband using tesco as my isp and a speedtouch 330 modem. i've had a yahoo mail address for years without any problem. when i log on using my broadband connection (and safari as my browser) i can see my photos and my briefcase no problem, however when i try to check e-mail all i see is a whole of the following sample - i should point out that my daughter has a yahoo account and she logs in without difficulty so i am at a loss as to where to start. replies so far from yahoo have been automated responses which are no help whatsoever so i'm stuck with only being able to check in from work!! here's some of what i see when i try to check/send mail - hope you can help:

v17k8togitcm5jic7rvknpurumutcpdam51yy7uviq
wjcctk3s9esbn1hptsnpnbmijdkj1pzk43mltw.kvnn
aprt1sxspx2izvtjdjxklhskwrc6t1lh30kb.ops0ab
qakgp96usor7hxyyoh5apfken5sm0pfluyzauvxwe
5ff1wxh90zmbgj4mv_bpqgx6w66nf337gu9k5b3a
ww523nxqmhjzpc7fdt6yjdesesn1nqrbbtfxmjmb5
8edup5byfpzejzqbc.sugym5gcqzqq0cipnqzuvlky
w--&v=1; path=/; domain=mail.yahoo.com
"age: 64"
"connection: close"
"via: http/1.1 ntl-site (traffic-server/5.2.4-59306 "
[c ssf ])

?ì]ywÛh?ÿÛ~o¾ÃÞø?Ø?¨Ëò!ylÇ9vã$9?Îööúq%
1¦h5iÙÑdòÝ÷ty¤Ë?;ÓóÞº;¶dÖ?b(?
b=Úݽu:?ú¾uÚÝm*¯*¯ÀÏ4º~4?g^ »??±
{nËøh?à?qa»?±kdç*´oÿ6¥§?
np?\eÉõ£¨ºãØ?§c§iÆÎç¸øɾ±Ås-Æú?Ûߢ
aß??q¡Ú#'úÕ¼¡üóÍß?gmÃ?ø=§ïúnÏÜ6n]¿Ü?±ão?Ã8?t¼ ?;?y?
æÌíÃõbÑ deÇ*õõ#?p?×?.Î/o???owÏÿþþåÏÍwn?t¢
¡qöæõåùë˦y:4Þ¿{Õ,nge/¸þ±|??

sue raw

Back