Osx Tiger Share With Win Xp

bikerlee

Registered
Hope you can help with this one, it's killing me...

I have the Media Center Edition of XP which is connected to my wireless router. As it is only connected to the TV and not used for internet browsing, I wanted to transfer files that I download from my Mac to it.

So, I set up a home network in XP and enabled the folder sharing on the My Documents folder and called it 'My Documents'. I then got the IP address assigned by my Belkin 54g router.

Then I started the personal file sharing and windows file sharing on the Mac. I was then able to connect to the windows box by command K in the finder and typing in smb://192.168.2.5/My Documents.

It then connects and I can see the remote files.......but, as soon as I try to click on a folder I get a 'server connection interrupted' message, but only when I try and click on something.

So I then went to the windows box and opened up the Mac in the network and I was able to see the remote Mac folders and transfer files across, but only after I tried several different home network configurations from the wizard.

Also, I can connect to the Windows box using VNC and get a solid connection to it all the while I'm getting server disconnects.

Anyone got any ideas as to why the Mac is hanging once connected, I am at a total loss...Thanks.

Make sure that you are running the latest version of the Mac OS. I'm running 10.4.3 and it seems to have helped with SMB transfers. Just make sure that you disconnect any extra peripherals from the Mac before upgrading, leaving only the keyboard and the mouse.

Yep, running the latest version of Osx. This maybe a problem with the PC as I connected my girlfriends laptop to the network and had no problems with file transfers.

Back