OSX: What will I miss when I leave WinXX?

six50joe

Registered
I'm planning to get a Mac when they start shipping with OSX. It will be my first Mac. I'm getting one because:
1. I don't know too much about OSX, but if it's Unix at its core, It's got to be solid.
2. I can stand using Win 98 no more. This is not an intro to an advocacy argument; I just cannot tolerate frustrations with the Windows product in my home any longer, and I'll leave it at that.

To those knowledgable, what are the things I will miss when I go to OSX? I'm most interested in:
1. Compatibility with web sites
Are there multimedia components at many web sites that won't work unless I'm using Windows?
2. Is there a means to run software written for Windows, using some sort of emulation, or compatibility product in OSX? I need to access my server at work using a VPN that has a Windows front end.
3. I'm really satisfied with the monitor I currently own. It's a Dell 21" monitor. Will I be able to use it with one of the new Macs?
4. I'm not as big a gamer as I used to be, but I do like certain strategy games, namely Sierra strategy games. Are there emulation products that will allow me to play games that aren't released for Mac?
5. Are there any decent TV cards for the Mac on the market?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Just like me. I know nothing before I bought Mac. What you loose is

1. Games

2. Slower (Mac OS X only. slightly slower than win2k)

no more loose but gain I think.

I'd guess that once osX is going out installed on iMacs, etc. it ought to be over a variety of the issues it's got now. Otherwise, I'd go into things like that...

1. In OS 9, if I go to order a VAIO laptop in IE or Netscape it informs me that I've got to be on Windows. Overall, this is very obscure. Generally there is a version of things like Flash, etc. not only for Windows. Other than this, incompatibilities vary but it's generally not an issue.
2. VirtualPC, etc. It's not out for osX but it is going to be. Other things like this out there, too...
3. I've got no idea, but if it's an issue...get an iMac. ;)
4. If it's not overly video card/graphics intensive, it ought to be ok...if there's a version of it for osX (or 8/9 in Classic). It _is_ an issue that 90% of the games out there only get on Windows. I guess I'd look online for info on the game(s) I'm interested in. Omni's getting a few out to osX, too.
5. I've got no idea. I'd look on Outpost.com for a general idea of the options out there...

In my opinion, if it's an option the ideal is to not only have one operating system installed. I'd go into a variety of the things that give me this opinion if I thought it'd be of interest; but in general it's a good idea if it's an option for you. Good luck,

Noel

To those knowledgable, what are the things I will miss when I go to OSX? I'm most interested in:
1. Compatibility with web sites (multimedia plu in's)
- No, that's very unusual. But some site's (bank's) have there own security systems that demand Win (use Virtual PC)
2. Is there a means to run software written for Windows, using some sort of emulation, or compatibility product in OSX? I need to access my server at work using a VPN that has a Windows front end.
- Virtual PC (Classic soon i X), it's emulates the PC hardware
3. I'm really satisfied with the monitor I currently own. It's a Dell 21" monitor. Will I be able to use it with one of the new Macs?
- Yes, if it's using a "normal" PC connection
4. I'm not as big a gamer as I used to be, but I do like certain strategy games, namely Sierra strategy games. Are there emulation products that will allow me to play games that aren't released for Mac?
No, not with graphic intensive games
Propably, but I'm not sure.

As far as monitors go, the newer Macs (blue and white G3s and later) seem quite compatible with most 15 pin monitors that are designed for Intel compatibles. I have a ViewSonic A75f connected to my G4, and it works without any problems. The ATI Rage 128 card has both ADC and 15 pin connectors. I'm not certain what connectors are on some of the latest graphics cards, but I suspect it's about the same. Maybe you can talk a local computer store into letting you hook up your monitor to one of their test computers if you would like more reassurance.

Originally posted by six50joe

1. Compatibility with web sites
Are there multimedia components at many web sites that won't work unless I'm using Windows?

None that I have found. Most use the major plugins, but stuff like crescendo don't work I believe. All the 'nice crappy' ones don't work like those stupid pointer ones that set custom mouse pointers for web pages.

This one I am trying to figure out. I would like to see native VPN myself. But to answer your question, yes there is an emulator product called virtual PC. It comes in different flavors, w/windows or w/o windows (DOS only). The one without windows is significantly cheaper. Im sure since your getting rid of your pc you could snag the license from that one and install it over DOS. Nice thing about VPC is that it really is a virtual PC, so it has its own bios and everything. If you can install Windows on a Dell then you can install in VPC with no problems I believe... they may have special drivers for such things as video or sound but im not sure. I think they use some that are in Windows already. Oh and if you get a G4 the velocity 128 bit engine increases performance by up to '200%' more than G3 performance of VPC according to connectix.

No problem, guess what. Macs are all VGA and ADC now. VGA for analog video and ADC for digital. Have a digital monitor? Get an ADV to DVI converter. Oh and if you get one of those GeForce cards, they are almost identical to the ones in PCs.

Hey me too! But usually you have to wait around for some of those strategy games. I am big into SIMs as well and those usually are very up to date on both plats. 3D shootem ups are ok but I get motion sick, besides that's why I have a PS/2. 32" video baby!

Yes and No. Stay away from ATI. There is another from Formac. Expensive but I hear its pretty chic. Pretty high end as far as those things go. As far as TV tuners your options for mac are better than win2k. If you are running 2k, you have NO luck finding one of those. I bought one for my PC, turns out they said 2k compatible. Well yeah, the card is, but the video software isn't. How dumb is that? Basically I can edit movies, but can't watch tv. I was P.O.d 100 bux wasted.

If I may recommend something, get a G4, don't go with an iMac or you won't be able to use the monitor and if you get an emultator, the G4 will come in nice. Get a fast drive, the more RPMs the better, for some reason MacOS X is slow when it comes to drive access. Although I have to say, 10.0.2 should take Mazdas mantra of *zoom zoom* much better. If you can afford it, get the dual proc lower end model, those dual procs really can help out more than the one imho... even if it is a 733 mhz vs 2 500 mhz. Load the puppy up with RAM (get 512 MB, decent 256 Modules are under 90 bux now) but beware, you will pay a premium from Apple for RAM. Check out dealmac.com for daily hardware specials.

Regarding VPN access, for work I use PC with Checkpoint SecuRemote VPN s/w.

This does not work with any kind of NAT (network address translation).

When I run VirtualPC on my PBG4, the windows session does not get a real IP address. Instead, it is allocated one by the pseudo-DHCP server in the VPC application, and all IP traffic is changed so that it looks like the G4 is sending the data out.

Basically, if you currently use SecuRemote, and you try to run it under VirtualPC on MacOS 9, it will not work. I don't know if this will be fixed by VPC on OSX, but I doubt it as the problem is really in the VPN s/w.

Alternatives - network associates sell a VPN client which runs natively under MacOS9. I'm not aware of an OSX client yet.

That's why I still have to lug around my heavy dell laptop whenever I go to the office.

just my $0.02

What will you miss from winXX if you migrate to OS X ? (after the 1st big revison 10.1)

1) The Frustration of crashing programs, blue screens of death, and reformats

2) Someone mentioned games. This assumes that you use your PC to play games (i.e. your PC is a game machine). This is a false statement since OS X has VGS to play playstation games, and a whole bunch of emulators to run other "classic concsole" games. Furthermore you can run your winXX games on VPC if you so please (when it becomes available for OS X)

3) Some applications that are windows only will be missed but VPC fixes that. (with a fast enought mac you can be really productive with VPC )

4) Hardware conflicts, hardware incompatibilities, the registry, win.ini, and all those nice looking windows attributes that drive you insane.

what will you gain ?

1) Peace of mind in a crash proof environement

2) The ability to run *several* OSes simulataneously using VPC, switching from one environemtn to another to get jobs done. (you can have OSs run in their separate space so if one virtual HD goes down it can be repalced without reformating and loss of data)

3) Seamless hardware integration that provides little or no conflicts,--> more peace of mind.

4) The "computer geek" status of running on a unix based system

5) Some powerful hardware to do your work and enjoy your play

Admiral

Back