OSX - WinXP LAN

iKst

Registered
Hello ppl,

I just got my iBook 700 and this is my second computer. I also have a PC with windows XP and now I want to connect them mainly to do some filesharing.

The problem is i cant use LAN and internet connection at the same time. I managed to configure nettwork card manualy in terminal with ifconfig to accept my local IP and in the same time i use settings System preferences to connect to internet trough switch and to adsl modem.

This works ok, i can ftp to iBook from windows and use internet on both machines at the same time.
But these settings are not permanent and i would like them to be :) Anyone know how can i set this up?

tnx

Ok, maybe I got you wrong, but here is how things are at my place:

I have three WinXP comps and one apple ibook. One of those Winxp pcs is permanently on and always connected to the net. On this comp, I activated sharing the connection. Of course I am using two nics in that system (one for the lan and one for the dsl). Well, all I needed to do was to tell Macosx the ip of the gateway-pc. And that's the ip from my routing pc. I can share files (without even using ftp! Check out DAVE!!!) and surf in the web at the same time. I hope I got you right. If you need further info, let me know and I tell you how I configured everything.
But for this solution you need to have the routing system on, at least when you want to have connection to the inet.
When you leave it on, it's nice to use a fax-server and mailserver as well!

A Router would simplify things. All machines would plug into the Router, the modem would plug into the router. No need for Dave or any other sharing software. It's all built into OS X. You would have internet access to all machines without having to go through one of the PC's, and also having sharing. You can mount the Mac on all the pC's and the PC's on the Mac.

Well, DAVE still would be needed, cause the router has the same function like a switch or hub in a lan . Dave is just allowing your system to be found by windows-systems in the network-group and share files easier. I am still using 10.1.5, so maybe in that case, there are some new improvments, that might make DAVE useless. But as I recall, DAVE 4 is also done for 10.2, what makes me believe that the filesharing still doesn't work well on jaguar.
It is right that you don't need any routing pc (one that should be on). The point is, that "my" solution works with software-routing (free) and bobws solution works with hardwarerouting (I think it should be more than 100 bugs, right?).
It also depands, on which computer you are working most. If you are using your pc all the time, but sometimes plug your ibook into the network, it would be (how I think) best and cheapest solution to make a router out of your pc and share the connection to your ibook. That's how things work at my place.
I don't know how easy a connection can be shared on a mac. So, if you are working on your ibook all the time, this might become an issue and it would be much more practical to have a hardware router.
I would first try the solution "for free" and see, if it's ok for you. If not, you can go for a router. Than I would even consider one with wireless lan for your ibook! ;)

Dave is not needed on 10.2. No software is. Dave is over $100.00. You can get a router for about $50.00.

bobw is right...

10.2 makes Dave obsolete. I used Dave when I had 10.1.5 though... It was very handy.

Still it is possible (although a bit more difficult) to connect to a PC without Dave at all.

Tnx guys but thats not what i want. I already have iBook and PC connected to switch and both work. They can both get on internet and i can use samba or FTP to share files.

The problem is in the way how i got things to work. In network prefs i had to setup iBook for ADLS connection to internet so it will be on the net even when PC will be off.

But...If I use these settings I can only connect to internet and PC cant connect to iBook trough samba or ftp on the local basis. So I also had to manualy set the IP of en0 device with "ifconfig" in terminal.

Things now work. But only until restart. When i restart i have to do "ifconfig en0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to enable local sharing.
I want to automate this so it will be there when i boot up.

@bobw
it's not that I said you need whether DAVE or the router. If 10.2 does it without DAVE, than you don't need it at all! Not even in my proposed software-routing solution. Than you can still save $50 for that hardware-router.
But I am very interested to those network features in 10.2! Is it possible that the mac can be found in the windows-network on all other windows-machines (not in the terminal but also in the network-area)? Can you share printer on the mac with windows-clients? If so, than I will forget thinking about DAVE 4 and go for jaguar!!!!!! But I think it's not like that! Would be happy if you prove me wrong! :)

@iKst
I am (again) a bit lost. How do you want to have adsl-connection PLUS lan-connection when your ibook has just ONE nic? Are you having a usb-connection to adsl or lan?????:confused:

I actualy have this kind of thing already :)

I described it in upper post. You setup adsl connection with net. prefs. That way you get ppp0 device. Now you set IP for LAN for en0 device.
Just need to autopmate it.

Guess I am just too stupid to understand...:(

How did you physically plug those systems? I mean, what kind of cable is going to adsl and where is it plugged and which one goes to lan (switch, hub, or direct-connection)?

PC is pluged ino switch and iBook is pluged into switch too.

Switch is then pluged in ADSL modem.

Thats all.

Ahhhh!!!!!! Now I got it! :D
Ok, here what else came on my mind:
Why not plugging your ibook directly to the adsl-modem and make a lan-connection over firewire? IF your pc has such a card...
Or another idea: Some adsl-modems are connected over a usb-cable to the comp. If you have such an adsl-modem, you might plug your ibook via usb to the net (usb is fast enough for adsl) and use direct connection to your pc via crosslinked or regular twisted pair cable.

You should be aware of one thing, when you leave your configuration like this: all Data that is transfered over UDP in the lan get to your adsl provider as well. I don't know if you can call this security-issue... but you should be aware!

I think, if you don't have a firewire-plug in your pc or your adsl-modem doesn't support usb-connection AND you want to have your ibook directly connected to the adsl-modem, you should really consider those $50 as bobw said for a hardware-router.

I hope it was helpful at all...

Cheers
Sam

In Network Preferences, create two Locations: One for ADSL, and another for the LAN. Configure each appropriately. You should not need the terminal to do this. When you are connected to the net through the PC, select the LAN Location from the Apple menu. When you are connected directly though the ADSL modem, switch to the ADSL location.

Using a software router is not entirely "free". The routing software will eat up CPU cycles on its machine. The best solution for software routing is to grab that first-gen Pentium from eight years ago and stuff two NICs in it, and leave it as a dedicated router.

Yeah, I figured out i can do 2 locations. But that way I have to switch betwen them, and if i want to share files i have to disconnect from net.
I dont like that and this is the whole point of my question :) How to configure 2 locations to work together.

I did this with terminal. I can connect to net and share files at the same time. But i would like to know a more comfortable way to do this.

And i know i dont need any routers and stuff. This works now, with 1 switch and 2 computers. The problem is only in automation of this process.

I read over your posts again and realized something. In Network Prefs, just duplicate your Built-In Ethernet network port. Set the duplicate up for ADSL and the original up for LAN. This creates an additional interface so it uses en0 and ppp0 on the same NIC at once.

Cant do that. You can only use 1 location at the same time. If i have 2 locations i either cant connect to LAN or to ADSL.

I was not referring to locations. I was referring to the "Show:" popup, which contains "Network Port Configuration". Select that item, which brings you to a list of network interfaces on your computer. Select "Built-in Ethernet" and duplicate it. Rename the two resulting interfaces to "Ethernet LAN" and "ADSL PPPoE". Make sure each is checked, then configure each appropriately. If you use the PC as a software router, be sure that the LAN configuration is listed first. You should then be able to contact both the PC and an arbitrary computer on the internet without any intervening reconfiguration.

Back