OSX works but can't startup in OS 9.2.2?

shaendiges

Registered
I have been having trouble with my computer for a few months now. I originally had Internet access through OS 9 (I couldn't get it to work or configured it incorrectly or something on OS X 10.3 (build 7B85)). Somewhere in the process of trying to get it to work on OSX, I think I may have done something to disable starting up in OS 9.

When I go to startup disk on System Pref, the OS 9.2.2 icon comes up, but when I try to restart, the computer gives me the 'you can't do that' noise.

When I have checked in Console, I always get a message about "Error running bless. Returned error 1"

1--I have tried blessing the folder by removing the Finder and System folders and then putting them back in.

2--I have tried dragging the System 9 folder to Terminal after using a 'bless' command (I think it was bless 9folder).

3--I have tried to use some startup commands to force the computer to start up in OS9. Twice, I got the grey background that I think is the leadup to the OS9 system. Then the Grey apple in the middle of the screen sort of disintegrated. Some vertical strips came and sort of destroyed the apple in the middle of the screen and then it booted up into OSX.

4--I have booted up and got the blinking question mark and then it goes into OS X

5--I have reinstalled OS 9.2 two or three times to no avail.

6--I have investigated some of the bless commands to try to understand what they mean. I can get my exact error messages and recorde them here, but there seemed to be a problem with no 'mountpoint'.

7--I have tried turning the extensions on and off through the extensions manager in Classic.

8--I have used the disk utility programs on the OS 9 startup disk to Verify and Repair disk permissions (whatever they are).

9--Yesterday, I called a local Mac guy and I tried unblessing the folder by putting the Finder in Preferences with the hope that I could re-install OS 9 and it would be recognized. I think that worked (the unblessing) because the "9" disappeared from the front of the folder, BUT I haven't been able to get it back even though I put the Finder and the System Happy Mac folders back in.

What I mainly want is Internet access, so either I can continue to try to get onto the Internet through the OS 9 operating system, or I can try to solve the connectivity problems with OS X 10.3. If you have any insight or experience with booting up problems for OS 9, I would greatly appreciate your help. I have also heard that there are software programs/downloads for solving some of these kind of errors. Know any?

I do wonder whether there is some extension or application or download that is somehow incompatible between the operating systems or something along those lines. This has been a very long sob story, but thank you for your patience.

Cheers!

Steve

A long story - but you give some good details. Sorry it took so long to get an answer.

First - you should not have a problem connecting to the internet on OS X.
To help you, what is your setup? How do you connect to the internet - dialup, ethernet, usb?

OS 9 startup - Look on the hard drive. You need only one System Folder with a 9 on the folder icon. Do you have that?

Back