Other platforms?

Doesn't IBM use Power PC chips for their servers ? IF so porting darwin should bea easier...or so one would think.

While they are at it they can also port afterstep LOL

Admiral

What did AIX originally run on (processor & system specs) ?
I wis I could use AIX at least once lol :p would like to give it a test drive :p
Anyone know where they are surplussing old AIX machines ??? LOL

Admiral

Well, so far, the only reason's I've heard not to port X to intel are:

1) Hardware.
Its true, apple has had far superior hardware for a long time. And intel has allways lagggggggggged behind. However, look at Linux. Linux runs on (this) pc quite well. And the linux comminuty has allways posted numerious drivers and patches to get arround intel's shortcommings. So, there are open-source drivers and solutions that do work for intel. I think what we have to worry about is Mickysoft releasing a version of linux that can run windows apps. That would be a killer combination (in theory, of course) if they did it on a stable kernel. But, Apple has really made the starting move in this. Apple has made an os that will eventually run most linux apps and mac os apps. And they have a great head start. If they do make an intel port of X which runs windows and intel-linux applications (combine linux with wine, and some clever gui) they could really save the pc-intel world. Every pc owner swares at microsoft, right? But they hang onto microsoft for price and compatability (cheap yet numerious programs). Mac osX for intel would be what they want - an os that runs linux, and windows programs. What could be better? Even if it didn't run both of those (win and linux) programs initially, it would probably be more stable.

2)
Economic stuff
Well, if every intel-pc owner with a 586 or better comes running to the computer store to buy os x, thats a turn on. And, I don't think that osx for intel would really take any of the Super-Computing market away form Apple. Any serious CAD/animation/video/Music power-user knows that a 128 bit processor (or 2 for that matter) will kick the crap out of an overclocked overheating intel 32 bit processor.

So, Apple sells more software, gains popularity, and continues to sell the same amount, if not more, of their 5.5 gigaflop processor computers. Not to bad in my opinion.

But, thats my 2 cents. What do yall think?

I talked to a friend of mine at Apple about the "/* Button title in alert to confirm restarting the computer into DOS/Windows (Intel computers only). */ "Restart in DOS"="Restart in DOS";

He stated that it is a leftover string from the Rhapsody days when OpenStep ran on Intel hardware and that there is nothing to worry about...

I wouldn't worry... Apple isn't THAT dumb.

Mac Guru

Back