ouch - my folder icon broke

juanflaco

Registered
Hello all,

I just fired up my G3 powerbook with a DVD in the drive and it spun up and down for a bit and OSX hung at 'logging in' after I entered username and pass. So I powered down and now I've got the broken folder icon.

1. Can't option-boot into OSX

2. Boot into OS9 - it says "The disk OS X appears to be damaged. Use a disk repair utility..."

3. Disk First Aid says "Invalid Node Structure - can't fix".

4. Apple knowledge base says I need to back-up and re-install OS X - but I can't see all my directories in OS 9 to back-up.

5. Am I fresh out of luck?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Hold down 'C' after restart to fire up the OS9 CD System, you can then look at the files you need to (and if you have partitions, move them to a good partition, and reinstall the system on a seperate one).

Thanks for the reply - I have 2 partitions and I can boot into OS9 - but I can't see all my directories on the OS X partition - namely the ones I would back up.

Any ideas how I can access these directories that aren't showing up in OS 9? Is my OS X partition just smoked? Can you damage a hard drive this badly by powering down at the wrong time?

So many questions, so little hope...

Well, to try to fix your OS X partition...

1. Boot into X while holding Command-S

2. Do a 'fsck -y' until there are no errors

3. Do a 'shutdown now' and your computer will shut down

4. Start it up again

Thanks xoot but I can't even boot with command-S, the broken folder icon appears right away. I'll try the disk repair on the OS X disk at lunchtime. Wait, that's now!

Back