Our IT Dept Says Running Quark 3, 4 Kills Classic on G5s?

dannywng

Registered
I was told by our IT department that Quark 3, 4 will "cause catastrophic" problems and "blow up Classic" if we try to run pre-Quark 5 Classic apps on a G5. They said they know of several companies that have experienced major
problems that didn't manifest initially but over time caused major problems when using these apps.
According to our IT department each version of Quark (3, 4, 5) writes and rewrites invisible preference files (not related to the preferences in the Quark application folder) on the hard drive with each version of Quark being lauched causes Classic to become unstable but doesn't happen on a G4.
Is there such a thing as an invisible Quark preferences file?
Our department needs to update documents that are done in QuarkXpress 3 and 4 because the xtensions are not available in the
newer versions of the applications. I am not totally convinced about this claim.

I would really appreciate it if someone knows of any businesses that use Quark 3, 4 and 5 on G5s and could possibly supply me with contact info so that I can investigate this claim which would help with my report.

Danny

If your IT department knows of 'several companies that have experienced major problems' maybe they (your IT) can give information about specific companies. Or, maybe they just operate from 'rumors and propaganda'. Seems like a good plan would be to learn from another company's mistakes. Maybe they discovered a fix (like: just ignore the IT department :) )

Also, if you have paid for support from them, Quark tech support can certainly be challenging to call, but sometimes you get someone who knows your answers.

I have NEVER had this problem; but who CARES if Classic crashes!! It doesn't affect OS X as far as I can tell.

For the past 2 years I have used Quark 4 and 5 with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Sounds like your IT dept. is seriously paranoid and haven't done any research or testing of their own. They are using the PC mindset (the blue screen of death!) with the Mac world which just doesn't fly. :)

Here's another forum that discusses this issue:
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/s...=654736&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=31&fpart=

If Apple and Quark are making this claim, you can bet it's to boost sales of Quark 6! And that reeks of Microsoft-ism. :p

I have lots of customers who have been using Quark 4 and a few running Quark 5 in the classic, with no real problems on a G5.

The only thing I would suggest when running Quark 4 and 5 in Classic would be to make sure that background printing is turned off.

Back