Out of Disk Space OS X Server 10.3.9

Tamino

Registered
We have a production server with two 60GB drives mirrored with Apple's software RAID (ick) Anyway we have no more room on the mirror and need to move the user directories to another partition.

Would I be able to do the following:

Mount a 400GB drive in the open bay and move the sharepoints directory
over to it?

What would happen to permissions?
What would happen as far as home directories on the OD Master?
Any cool tools for moving directories and udpdating permissions and the OD Master?

Any help would be appriciated.

Apple's software RAID really is fairly reliable, in all environments I've seen it. Most of the folks I've seen have issues are using 3rd party drives in an Xserve or outdated hardware. :)

Permissions should be A-OK. You are still connected locally to the same LDAP directory, so all of the UIDs and so forth could be resolved. You would have to double check that the LDAP entries in WGM for the home directory reflects the proper path to the data. This can be updated very quickly, as you can select multiple accounts at once and edit them in bulk.

Since your moving everything locally, you really could use almost any data replication tool. You could use Carbon Copy Cloner, which is GUI based and will handle permissions and so forth. You could use command line tools such as ditto or cp. Lots of options! :)

Hope this gets you started.

Michael

I would just make sure that you turn off AFP service before cloning so that you don't have files accidentally modified by users while you're in the process of cloning. You'll also need to open Workgroup Manager and update the share points after they've been moved to the new disk.

Well, turns out that the server OS was swiss cheese. We got a new box and rebuilt it. I used ditto -V -rsrc to move the data off the dying box to an external hard drive. When i try to use ditto to move the data onto the new box (400GB drive) the transfer locks up on a different file every time.

The old server was a G4 XServe with 1GB RAM and the new box is a Dual G5 w/1GB ram. The server os doesn't lock up. The terminal app doesn't lock up. Just the transfer stops. No lights on the drives.

I've currently configured the sharepoints on the external drive and users can log in and see their home directories so the permissions are fine on the data. I just need to get that data off that external drive.

PS. I'm backing up the sharepoints tonight with retrospect. I'm going to try to restore the sharepoints to the new internal drive tomorrow.

Could be file descriptors and such blocking it. Different command line apps have different capabilities. If you have the space, you could consider tar'ing or zip'ing the data, replicating the archive and then unarchiving it.

Michael

Sometimes, when I have issues copying data off of a drive running an OS, I'll have better success putting it in target disk mode to another machine and moving the data that way.

Sounds like your RAID might be having an issue as well. I'd take that as a sign you might want to consider a start-from-scratch

Back