outgoing email/authentication problems

processor93

Registered
i have a g4 powerbook 1.5GHz/512 MB RAM running OS 10.3.7.

over a week ago now, i suddenly stopped being able to send email from eudora 5.2 (this runs in OS X not classic). i use a dialup ISP and used their SMTP server for outgoing email. i checked with them and everything seems to be fine. i then tried using my host's SMTP server instead, since my email works fine using the imail program running off their mail server, which i can access from any web browser. but in eudora, it contacts the server, waits for about a minute, then eventually gives up saying "server not responding".

thinking the issue might be eudora, i decided to set up the mac mail program. i entered all my info correctly, but get the reply "Trying to log into the POP server “mail.hostname.com” you specified has failed. Please make sure the username and password are correct. If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email." my host's tech support guy was able to log into my account and send email from outlook.

additionally, and i'm not sure if this is somehow related, i've suddenly been unable to log into myspace using IE, even though my password is correct. it works in safari however.

i've verified disk permissions a few times, since when things get a little weird that usually solves it, but not this. is there some kind of prefs file i can trash or reset? any other ideas?

processor93 said:
i have a g4 powerbook 1.5GHz/512 MB RAM running OS 10.3.7.

over a week ago now, i suddenly stopped being able to send email from eudora 5.2 (this runs in OS X not classic). i use a dialup ISP and used their SMTP server for outgoing email. i checked with them and everything seems to be fine. i then tried using my host's SMTP server instead, since my email works fine using the imail program running off their mail server, which i can access from any web browser. but in eudora, it contacts the server, waits for about a minute, then eventually gives up saying "server not responding".

thinking the issue might be eudora, i decided to set up the mac mail program. i entered all my info correctly, but get the reply "Trying to log into the POP server “mail.hostname.com” you specified has failed. Please make sure the username and password are correct. If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email." my host's tech support guy was able to log into my account and send email from outlook.

additionally, and i'm not sure if this is somehow related, i've suddenly been unable to log into myspace using IE, even though my password is correct. it works in safari however.

i've verified disk permissions a few times, since when things get a little weird that usually solves it, but not this. is there some kind of prefs file i can trash or reset? any other ideas?
Eudora 5.2? Don't you mean Eudora 6.2?

2 things my ISP added over the last year:

1) I can no longer send email unless I've checked (read/receiving) email in the last # minutes.

2) My outgoing email now requires me to authenticate just like receiving.

Possibly your ISP made one/both of these changes to your service?

TommyWillB said:
2 things my ISP added over the last year:

1) I can no longer send email unless I've checked (read/receiving) email in the last # minutes.

2) My outgoing email now requires me to authenticate just like receiving.

Possibly your ISP made one/both of these changes to your service?

yes, my ISP does require me to check mail before sending. but i'm not sending email through my ISP, i'm sending it through my host. checking the ISP's mail server and then trying to send through their POP mail from eudora doesn't work either.

also, none of those things changed before it suddenly stopped working, and i was able to send using eudora just fine.

the only thing i can think of that may have changed on my end is i might have downloaded some software or extension (which has nothing to do with internet access) that screwed with my computer's ability to authenticate properly. that's why i was asking if there was some prefs file i could delete or reinstall.

i've even tried reinstalling OS X (moved old system to a previous system folder) but the problem remains.

Back