outgoing mail problem (OS 10.3.7)

processor93

Registered
i asked this question before and tried a few things since then, so now i have more info.

for almost 2 months i haven't been able to send email directly off my laptop (12" G4, 1.5GHz, 512). for comfort's sake i was using eudora, but now i'd like to switch over to the native mail program. neither will work; they cannot find my host's mail server. i know there's no problem on their end because i can receive mail in eudora, and i can send mail using my host's web-based mail interface. all my settings are correct according to my host's tech support.

at one point it was suggested that it was my ISP (dialup), but i don't think so. first of all, i had this ISP for about a month and it worked fine. second, i used airport in a wifi hotspot yesterday and had the exact same problem.

a little while ago i even tried reinstalling the whole system on my drive, but to no avail (i saved a lot of my settings, so whatever's set wrong probably transferred as well).

i'm thinking there is some sort of prefs file that became damaged, perhaps by a faulty installation of some dubious software i downloaded. can anyone think of anything i can toss out or reset?

thank you!

01. Macs are quite easy to configure (for internet connection, e-Mail'ing, FTP'ing, etc.), yet ISP technical service (personnel) - with respect to general Macintosh intelligence, is basically - nil.
02. How about being very specific and tell us your actual ISP's name.

I am going to presume, you did some (actual) 'Google'ing (or equivalent) before posting your situation.

P.S.
You may want to keep 'Eudora' around (and check your mail with it, as you do with 'Mail'). Some find 'Mail' to be rather basic in functionality.
Other Macintosh e-Mail'er applications are also more mature and quite useful, compared to 'Mail'.

barhar said:
01. Macs are quite easy to configure (for internet connection, e-Mail'ing, FTP'ing, etc.), yet ISP technical service (personnel) - with respect to general Macintosh intelligence, is basically - nil.
02. How about being very specific and tell us your actual ISP's name.
You may want to keep 'Eudora' around (and check your mail with it, as you do with 'Mail'). Some find 'Mail' to be rather basic in functionality.
Other Macintosh e-Mail'er applications are also more mature and quite useful, compared to 'Mail'.

my dialup ISP is most likely not the problem, since it occurs when not even using them. i used airport at a wifi hotspot and it still couldn't find my host, which is where my email account is. that would be thehostpros.com, who i also called. the admin was able to log into my account from outlook and send email.

i've been using this host for years and not had this problem. i don't think the issue is OSX compatibility since i had been switched over for a few months before the problem began.

by the way:

i've never actually used the "mail" program. this problem made me think about switching to it, but i can't even get it set up because "mail" delivers the general message "login has failed, please check username and password, do not continue or you may not be able to check your mail". eudora simply gives me "server not responding".

the username and password are correct. i even tried putting in the actual IP address of the mail server (as suggested by my host's admin), same result.

Back