Outlook 2001 under Classic Mode

jbisson

Registered
Has anyone been able to get Outlook 2001 to work in Classic mode under OSX. When I launch it it gives no error, but bails out the classic environment.

I have version 5.02 (2022) of Outlook running in Classic just fine. I needed to set up the internet connection in OS-X though. Make sure you are connected to the internet before you hit "send and receive" in Outlook. If I don't do that, I get an error. Keep trying, it should work! :)

We are in the process of rolling out Outlook and Exchange server where I work. 7 of us are running Outlook in Classic in OS X. I had the same problem with one person. What I ended up doing is turning off the Apple Menu items Control Panel in Classic. This solves a lot of problems with Classic incompatibilities.

If that doesn't work try doing a clean install of OS 9.1 and using that for Classic. Then reinstall Outlook.

I continue to have problems with Outlook periodically. It just dies and crashes Classic with it. Some days are better than others.

The previous post was from someone who doesn't know what Outlook is. They were confusing it with Outlook Express.

Yeah! Personally I'm getting a bit tired of explaining to people the difference between Outlook (Exchange client) and Outlook Express (POP & IMAP client).

I was really happy when Microsoft change the name of Outlook Express to Entourage.

Now if we can oly figure out if the AOL/Time Warner browser is called Netscape or Communicator...

I'm afraid the name/app "Outlook Express" is not going to disappear: Entourage is the version of Outlook Express with added functionality like a calendar and note-keeping functionality... AFAIK Outlook Express is going to be updated and is going to continue to be what it is now: a free and simple mail and news client that comes together with Internet Explorer and is supposed to destroy all third-party mail-client developers (and create another monopoly for Microsoft). Haven't heard anything about a version for OS X though... maybe they've decided that they can't compete with Apple's Mail, and _did_ decide to stop development on it... (that would be nice...)

Well that's just great...

Now instead of two programs with similar functionality and names we have three!?!? Friggin' Microsoft! Grrrrr....

MS Outlook 2001 (Exchange client) doesn't work for me on Classic mode (9.1), Apple Menu items off, MacOSX 10.1.1.

It tells me the MS Exchange server is unavailable, I am connecting via TCP/IP and I can ping the server. Have you configured it with any special parameters?

dani++

I have Outlook 2001 setup at work and use it everyday without any problems.

As for the setup, you might want to go to the Outlook Settings control panel and putting in the address of the server and then your mailbox name (in my case that is LastName, FirstName) and click on the button to check the name. (You'll have to provide credentials to log on: name, pwd and domain.) If the name gets underlined after checking, the check as successful and you should habe no problem connecting with outlook.

Yep, I've done that already, and the name was underlined (and expanded-completed) by the server. After that, you are presented with a login panel that fails that way.

By domain does it refer to DNS name of the exchange server?

dani++

Originally posted by dani++
Yep, I've done that already, and the name was underlined (and expanded-completed) by the server. After that, you are presented with a login panel that fails that way.

By domain does it refer to DNS name of the exchange server?

dani++

It does not use domain at all; your problems can be routed back to the fact that your computer is in one DNS domain, whereas Exchange is in a different one. Outlook is remembers only the unqualified name of the exchange server, and insists on searching in your domain (where it does not find it). The solution is to add the domain of the Exchange server into the DNS search list for both OS X and Classic. (Been there, done that, can't you tell :) In fact, it is enough to put it only in OS X, in the Domain Names (optional) multiline text field; Classic will inherit them from there.

The Domain is the Windows Networking domain not the DNS domain. If you are not sure what the NT domain is, you should be able to check in any windoze client under the identification tab. Its in either the My Computer properties or Network Neighborhood properties. I can't recall at the moment and I don't have windoze at home.

Back