ove NTFS that overwrote OS X partition?

Looking at the other thread you created and the images of disk utility you've completely removed your os x partition, the only option in this case is to erase your Hard Disk and format it back to Mac OS Extended Format, then re-install the Mac OS from DVD. You'll need to recover using the data recovery tool you talk about all the data you need from the drive before doing this and make sure you've coped all the data on to your external drive so there is NOTHING on your internal drive that you want.

With that complete, restart your Mac from the Mac OS X Install DVD. Make sure your external drive has been disconnected from the Mac.

Once started up from the DVD (I'm assuming you're installing Leopard (10.5))
Goto the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility after you've selected what language you want to use for the install.

In Disk Utility select your Hard Disk thats got the Windows Install on it. (It should be the only one listed along with the DVD)

Select Partition in the tabs just to the right and then the options button.

Make sure GUID Partition is selected in the list that appears and click ok.

Just below the tabs is a Partitions popup menu that current states Current.
Change this to 1.

Name the disk, its called Untitled by default.

Finally click the partition button.

You'll be warned your about to remove all the data on the selected drive.

Click Continue.

After a moment the disk will be partitioned and formatted for the Mac OS.

Now quit Disk utility.

and you'll be back at the Mac OS X Installer.

Run through the installer selecting the hard disk you just formatted when prompted. (Full details on installing Mac OS X are in the Box or Original Manuals that came with your Mac, I will not repeat them here)

Once the install completes, and your Mac restarts run through the Mac OS X Setup assistance and once at the desktop you can copy all your data from your external drive, you'll then need to reinstall and third party applications and don't forget to run software update so you've got the latest Apple Software.

Hope that helps you along.

I have the same issue as kabbage except I have no need for the data rescue application because I have my time machine backups.

Will this work for me also?

Please see my thread at this location to confirm my problem is the same as kabbage's.

I have the same problem except everything is greyed out under partition, erase, first aid in disk utility. I called support they weren't much help, they had me hold down cmd-option - P - R and when that failed they basically said iam on my own.

Any one have any idea how to get my drive back so I can reinstall OSX? i have a time machine back up so I don't mind wiping the drive.

I'm not exactly following what your problem is, but if you have a time machine backup and a mac os x leopard install disk, you should be good to go. Just put in the disc and hold down option to boot from it, then when it all loads up do a restore from time machine backup (somewhere in the top menu bar when it allows you to use it, I forget which). Then select the backup hd with the time machine backups and it will restore all the files back to the partition.

If what your partition is the problem, I guess you could do it similar, boot up into the leopard disc and use the disk utility from there.

Might want some more knowledgable help before you go trying anything, lol.

Actually I fixed it.

The problem was I couldn't use any of the disk utility features as i accidently formated the entire drive to NTSF. What I had to do was boot off my vista disk and diskpart clean all to wipe the NTSF off the disk. Then I was able to boot back to OSX off the dvd and I was able to run disk utility to create a new partition and run the time machine restore.

Actually I fixed it.

The problem was I couldn't use any of the disk utility features as i accidently formated the entire drive to NTSF. What I had to do was boot off my vista disk and diskpart clean all to wipe the NTSF off the disk. Then I was able to boot back to OSX off the dvd and I was able to run disk utility to create a new partition and run the time machine restore.

I have a similar problem, but different. My MacBook Air OS X startup disk had almost run out of space (mostly because I have a Windows XP partition for a program I needed), so I spent the day deleting files and then finally using a program called CleanMyMac. Then once I had 6GB free, I attempted a software update.

When I rebooted the MacBook Air, the grey screen, Apple logo and spinning gear seemed to last forever. I shut down the computer and pressed OPTION to see the Macintosh drive and the Windows drive. Both were there. I tried starting up in Windows and it worked fine.

Then, after restarting the computer the spinning gear continued for twenty minutes or so. I was relieved, but it started up in Windows! When I restart the computer again, I press OPTION and the Macintosh drive is totally gone! It doesn't show up, and there's no going into OS X.

I'm not sure if the clean up caused the problem, or if it's a hard drive failure because of the update and low memory. Either way, am I able to get the drive back? Are all of my files gone for good? I don't think I have done anything with Time Machine on this computer.

I would greatly appreciate your help / comments / directions!!

Thanks,

Zach

The problem was a disk failure. I tried to boot up using Mac OS X Snow Leopard install that I mounted onto an external drive. That worked (press OPTION after powering up), but the disk couldn't be repaired (using Disk Utility). A program called Data Rescue 3, which I also mounted to an external drive, booted up, located the disk and recovered my important files. That was the amazing thing. My next step is to reformat the entire drive.

Actually I fixed it.

I have a similar problem, but different. My MacBook Air OS X startup disk had almost run out of space (mostly because I have a Windows XP partition for a program I needed), so I spent the day deleting files and then finally using a program called CleanMyMac. Then once I had 6GB free, I attempted a software update.

Actually I fixed it.

I'm not sure if the clean up caused the problem, or if it's a hard drive failure because of the update and low memory. Either way, am I able to get the drive back? Are all of my files gone for good? I don't think I have done anything with Time Machine on this computer.

Back