Overall Wackiness. Safari, Skype, and Mail won't launch.

dogg

Registered
When I click on Safari, Skype, or Mail the icon bounces around in the dock, but the programs don't actually "launch." Then when I do a command-tab OS X tells me the programs are open, but there are no menus or window visible. Strange.

I should also mention when I restarted last night, the only thing that came up was a gray screen with a little icon of a world. Not sure what that meant. So...I went through and reinstalled OSX again. Now I don't have the funky little world icon and everything seems kosher, but I still can't launch Safari, Skype, or Mail.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone has. I actually work on Macs 8 hours a day (I'm a designer), but am really a dummy when it comes to being a mechanic.

Dogg

'but am really a dummy when it comes to being a mechanic. ' - no, your not a dummy; just a Mac'er experiencing a MacOS X problem.

When posting, mentioning one's System / MacOS X version and Mac model, at a minimum, is helpful.

When a 'grey' screen appears, there are a few actions one can take. The last, of which, would be to re-install MacOS X.

Now that your Mac does boot, at least to the 'Desktop' - try to open (run, launch) 'Disk Utility' from the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder. If not successful, boot from the 'Panther Install CD' or 'Tiger Install DVD', and select the 'Installer, Open Disk Utility ...' menu item. Select the volume (in the left side list) and click on the 'Repair Disk' button (perform at least twice). Then click the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button (perform at least twice).

Thanks, I'll try Disk Utility next. Looks like "gemanieto" is having the same problem in this forum. I'll keep an eye on that thread.

Tried launching disk utility and I get the spinning "beachball of death." Should I let the thing spin and spin and see if disk utility eventually opens?

No, don't. Look at what barhar said and boot up from your installer cd and get disk utility at work. Hopefully it's able to repair the stuff so you don't have to do a re-install.

Back