Overclock a 2.0Ghz iMac [intel]...

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
How do I overclock my iMac? Step by step instructions would be AWSOM.
Thanks (my specs are in my sig)

Do you really want to overclock a computer that expensive? You're not going to be able to overclock much, as you can't really add extra cooling to the case, and you risk destroying your computer. It probably won't be covered by AppleCare if you try to overclock it. It's really not worth it, even if it is possible (and I'm not sure if it is..).

agreed. that case is so closely designed to be as small as possible, and as a result, there is virtually no margin for much extra heat. steer away from overclocking. those Core Duo's are plenty fast enough for anything right now.

I've over-clocked PC's for a very long time. Changes to the motherboard FSB and CPU voltage settings are required and Apple doesn't provide these capabilities. Bad reviews are written for motherboards that don't provide fsb/voltage settings.

I personally don't care whether or not Intel lets you change their FSB and CPU voltage settings. It's ridiculous given that the Core Duo's and C2D's are already faster than practically anything worth buying.

Even if you could overclock them, the heating problem comes in. It would be ludicrously stupid to do so.

When you overclock a PC box you have to make due for the extra heat with more cooling measures such as fans, watercooling, etc. In a PC box, you have the room for this. In something small like a SFF box or a mini-ITX box....or even something as tightly-enclosed as the Apple Macs (with the exception of the Mac Pro), this is definitely a cause for concern and overclocking will cause more heat build-up than in a PC box or the Mac Pro. How do you plan on fitting a fan or some other cooling mechanism in something that small?

Also remember that you'll probably be voiding your warranty on the Mac (or possibly any brand-name PC for that matter) if you overclock. ;)

coming from a pc world all this talk of you cant do this and that from mac fan boys is boring. of cource you could just a matter of doing some research. here is a good starting point to give you an idea of what your looking forward to.

and relax with the replies i have switched to macs two years ago and not looking back.

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/

That article is more than 4 years old, when the mini still had a G4 processor
The present mini has intel core2duo, runs circles around even an over-clocked G4, and there's multiple articles about upgrading the intel processors on some of those newer minis.

There's always been some interest in overclocking/processor upgrades/mods to Macs. This is nothing new, and is not restricted to just windows and PCs - Why would you think that?
There's also some attitude that Macs don't usually need those 'tweaks', etc, mostly for the reasons that were presented.

Dude dont be stupid. Don't listen to the guy above me, i overclocked the very first powermac i ever had, and it barely helped, it was super super unstable, and crashed constantly, and then it came to a point where i couldn't even boot it up. I had to buy a replacement off ebay. And lucky for me, it was like 20bucks. for an intel core 2 duo, you wont be so lucky. a 2.0 is plenty fast enough, be happy with your mac.
oh lol not deltamac, i was talking about the freereg or whatever his name is.

NOT delta mac, he's right.

Back