Overclock iBook 700 ?

iKst

Registered
Hey,

Does anyone know how much faster would iBook 700 be if i would overclock it to 800mhz ? I didnt find any benchmarks.
700 is fast enough for me but I would like to make OSX a bit more snapy. Will 100mhz help at all ?
Would 640mb ram make any diference. I realy dont have much apps open and i always have some free ram.

I have iBook 700 (Radeon 7500) and 384 ram.

Probably wiser to go for the RAM before you start fiddling with clock speeds. You can't really have too much memory, especially under OS X.

Originally posted by iKst
Hey,

Does anyone know how much faster would iBook 700 be if i would overclock it to 800mhz ? I didnt find any benchmarks.
700 is fast enough for me but I would like to make OSX a bit more snapy. Will 100mhz help at all ?
Would 640mb ram make any diference. I realy dont have much apps open and i always have some free ram.

I have iBook 700 (Radeon 7500) and 384 ram.

Yup, you'd notice a difference, but take a look into the risks and challenges involved before considering overclocking it. The iBooks CPU is soldered directly on the motherboard, and if you mess it up you'd have to replace the whole board. Also make sure the temperature doesn't get too high :)

hmmm...i have some expirience with overclocking PC and i know that the only thing that can mess up my G3 is heat. But hey, there are 800mhz G3s on the market in iBooks so it shouldnt be too hot.
Also, overclocking with software wouldnt void my warranty right ? If i OC with that chud cpu will go to default mhz every time i reboot.

Are there any benchmarks comparing 700 and 800mhz G3s ?

you can overclock the mac by a softwaretool?
Well, sounds like raising the fsb, but you should know that there is also influence on many other devices...
Or can you raise the multiplier?

There is an article on xlr8yourmac. It can be done with CHUD tools 1.1 i think. And you only raide mult. not FSB. FSB would be cool tho but you are right, there would probably be problems with gfx card and other stuff if ratio would stay the same.

The iBook 700 is not a slow machine>>>>The risks are to high unless you REALLY know what you are doing. It's designed to run at that speed so you should leave it. More memory is always the best way to go>>>>Over-clocking is for disatisfied PC users.;)

Originally posted by Langley
The iBook 700 is not a slow machine>>>>The risks are to high unless you REALLY know what you are doing. It's designed to run at that speed so you should leave it. More memory is always the best way to go>>>>Over-clocking is for disatisfied PC users.;)

No, overclocking is the only way to make Macs fast ;)

iKst, would you mind posting a link to that article? :)

I dont agree OC is only for PC users. It is for everyone who like to push it to the limits. Its like car tuning. Sure honda civis is designed for city driving but some ppl still put supercharger on them :)
I didnt say iBook is slow. It is ok, but if it can get faster, why not.

I know exactly what i am doing when overclocking :)
And i also know that G3 700 and G3 800 are the same chips, so basicaly apple overclocks chips in factory.
And btw...i agree that you should know what you are doing when OC.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2002_overclocking.html

This is the link. I didnt try yet but i will when i get CHUD tools 1.1.1 :) If anyone has that stuff can i please get it on email. iKst@siol.net

If you new little about overclocking would you do it? Also if he stuffs it up would >YOU< take responsibility?

send a a link to a >AUTHORISED< apple site that gives guarantees to it success;)

Look, i dont intend to tell people what is right and what is not. I assume everyone is smart enough to find out what is good and what is bad.

And you wont see apple approving OC because they wouldnt sell any 800mhz if everyone could just OC their old CPUs. And yes, there is some risk. But if you would know more about OC than you do, you would also know that the only bad thing is heat.
More mhz cant kill your CPU. You can OC G3 to 1.2g and mhz still wont kill it. It is the heat that kill CPUs. But even that is not realy enough. If CPU has a cooler on there is very little chances that you kill it.
If cpu is too hot OS will be unstable and will probably not even boot. But there is still way back without permanent damage.

Anyway. I didnt mean to start what is rite and what is not debate here. I assumed that someone here already OCed his mac and i just want some expirience sharing :)

I've overclocked many macs, and still haven't wrecked any, but I'm just as nervous every time I power up a computer right after OCing it. It's not as easy as saying only temperature can kill the CPU, I've heard horror stories where CPUs suddenly just have stopped working, even though the temperature is kept down. And you have no reliable way of keeping an eye on the temperature inside your iBook, either.
I'm not trying to scare you away from overclocking, but my suggestion is to not do it unless you have the money to replace the motherboard ;)

Back