Overfan when using Application in Classi

malox

Registered
Hi people !

short HW Profile:
Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5 4GB RAM

the problem:
I have an Application that runs only on MacOs9 (on the G5 only Classic mode) and every second I work whit this I must ear the FAN override - It's vary cold here when the Fans are blowing :-( - I think this may be a problem of trasmitting information from Classic to core control that have the FanControl, like you startup in singleuser mode and let "applejack auto" make all the tasks ... after ¿ 2-3 minutes you'll ear the fans starting and not stopping before you 1) reboot or 2) exit singleuser to let the machine have max-control on the temperatures and the fan use to control the temperature.
Any idea how to workaround this noisy problem perhaps through fine setting the RAM Preference for the Application that works only in classic ???

THX

malox

When is the last time you cleaned out the G5? I ask because on my G5 it sucks it dust like no one business and I have to regularly clean it out.

Are you actually rebooting into OS9, or running the application in Classic under OSX? OS9 doesn't have the drivers to control the fan speed on most G5s, and so if you boot into OS9 the fans will ramp up to maximum speed by default. I get the same thing on my iMac G5 if I reboot into OS9. Also, the drivers for fan speed control don't load if you boot into single user mode, so you get much the same effect.

Back