Override Admin. Password??

mspain77

Registered
Hi folks-
Gloomy situation and I need some help.
My dad was a recent convert to Mac, and he had a MacMini at home. He passed away a few months ago, and now as my mom and I are trying to clean things up on the machine, I can't do a damn thing because it's all password protected.
We've tried his three usual handles and passwords, but to no avail.
Is there a way I can override or reset or something to change the admin. access??? Thanks a bunch you guys!

Start up with the original install disk; there is a Password Reset utility in the menu that comes up before any install processes are started. Also Disk Utility, which can perform repairs that can only be done externally.

Will that not completely erase and reinstall the entire OS? Is there an option to JUST change the password without disrupting anything else?
When I tried to repaair permission from disk utility, that required a password too.

If you start up install disk, you will get the normal menu at the top of your screen. Click the Utilities menu and select the reset password option. This will NOT erase any files, but you will loose the stored keychains (remembered passwords). The exception is if he has Filevault enabled, and I'm not sure how you can access the files if they are under that.

Another option is do start up the password-reset program in the install disk, but set a password for the System Administrator. You will then be able to login as root (system administrator), and see the protected files.

Have you tried: System Preferences->Accounts->Password->Change Password? There MIGHT be a hint (or actual password) in the hint box.

As I/we have no idea if your "story" is true or you're trying to break into someone else's computer; I, for one, think you're on your own.

No offense!

Truly sorry, but certainly I do not know you. I tried not to offend. I'm sorry I failed.

I did, however, attempt to help to the extent of my knowledge.

SGilbert, your comments are a bit in poor taste...you have nothing to lose by communicating with someone who's trying to access files on a comp. It's not like he's asking for a cracked key to an app he just 'bought' so to speak.

Mike, I'm very sorry for your loss. Guess that's why I haven't heard from you in a while? My condolences.

I already apologized! No, personally I have nothing to loose. (Unless, of course, it was MY Mac)

Just, what if (of course, in this idealistic world it couldn't happen) someone "borrowed" another person's Mac, and found out that it was locked. Are we here to assist the possible criminal in making that Mac his own?

I assisted AND commented in a logical and realistic way.

BTW: I was verbally chastized recently for suggesting how someone could transfer a supplied Apple program from his own new Mac to his own older Mac. Now, I'm "gun-shy" in favor of absolute morality and legality! Possibly you can now see MY viewpoint.

SGilbert, let the moderators decide whether someone needs to be censored and or have a post removed or if they are a criminal or not. You had no evidence and offended mspain personally so I don't think you defending your reasoning is necessary in any way. Let it go.

It's important to note that mspain has been here about as long as you have! (Aug 2005) So that should clue you in that he's probably on the level (an honest person). Click his icon to find out something about him before you start making rash judgements, ie that he's a criminal.

The question was innocent enough, you've apologized -- we can now move on.

Back